PDA

View Full Version : "King" Betta?

invadertoast
02-15-2009, 12:50 AM
Was in Petco earlier and saw they are now carrying King bettas... anybody else see these or have any info? Couldn't find much on them, they look similar to a plakat, but I have a plakat and there was something a little different looking about them. Their colors were kind of bland (mostly brown) and they looked a little larger than all the other varieties they had in stock. Not sure if they're some sort of giant betta, a mis-labeled plakat, or something else!

Red
02-15-2009, 12:59 AM
i see those all the time! I think i started a thread askign what they are, but they are darn expsensve. 14.99 a piece..

invadertoast
02-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Yikes, the ones I saw didn't have any prices on them. They were also on the bottom shelf of one of the end display things that nobody ever sees, I just noticed the black label on the cups and took a closer look.

Obelisk
02-25-2009, 02:14 AM
I googled them and found a bit of info on them a while back. They're supposed to have genes of the giant betta strain in them. I myself have couple of them in a divided 10 gallon. They flare at each other sometimes but for the most part they keep to themselves. I'm not too big a fan of the long-finned bettas. I'm more into plakats and wild betta species.

labnjab
02-25-2009, 12:27 PM
I've read they can get 3-5 inches and in some cases can be kept in a community setup.

invadertoast
02-25-2009, 12:29 PM
If i didn't have a tank full of females I might have to try one, lol. I prefer short-finned bettas too, but they're kind of hard to come by. I got my plakat labeled as a female at Petsmart.

Mvjnz
02-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Having the giant gene doesn't mean much unless you breed them with another giant, then they might have giant babies. Betta enthusiasts pay good money for giants.

But having the gene, which it may or may not having considering it's a pet store, doesn't mean much if it's normal sized.

Obelisk
02-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Having the giant gene doesn't mean much unless you breed them with another giant, then they might have giant babies. Betta enthusiasts pay good money for giants.

But having the gene, which it may or may not having considering it's a pet store, doesn't mean much if it's normal sized.

The "king bettas" are significantly larger than normal sized bettas. The one's I have are 2 1/2 inches (2 inches not including the tail). They can get up to 3 inches. I read the thing about the giant gene in one of the google search results I got, though I'm not sure if it's true. Seeing how large they can get, it wouldn't surprise me if they did have that in their genes.

Mvjnz
02-26-2009, 02:03 AM
Yes, but my point was that carrying the gene and actually being bigger are two very different things. What was mentioned further up made it sound like they carry the gene for giants, not that they actually are giants.

If they are giants then obviously that's what the 'king' is all about.