PDA

View Full Version : bushynose plecos

bushwhacker
02-14-2009, 09:37 PM
people these fish are amazing. i put 2 small BN (bought from toddnbecka) in my 55 gallon yesterday.. i had several large patches of brown algae, i do mean LARGE patches on the glass the intake tube for the hob filter and several other places... i got up this morning turned on the lights and its gone... i would not belive it but its right in front of me.. thanks toddnbecka

bushwhacker

Gemini
02-14-2009, 09:56 PM
They are fabulous aren't they! So cute!:19:
Make sure you don't forget to give food for them too if there isn't enough algae so they don't go hungry.

bushwhacker
02-14-2009, 10:11 PM
thanks gem.. they workin on the driftwood now its got a lot but yes i'm gonna get some cukes and zuchinii for em and some algae wafers , i'll probably start me some algae rocks too

troy
02-14-2009, 10:13 PM
IMO algae wafers are worthless. Most don't contain enough vegetable matter.

Jacko
02-14-2009, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=bushwhacker]thanks gem.. they workin on the driftwood now its got a lot but yes i'm gonna get some cukes and zuchinii for em and some algae wafers , i'll probably start me some algae rocks too[/QUOTE

I agree with Troy, algae wafers are better for Mbuna than plecos IMO.

Algae rocks are probably my favorite way to get algae to the fish, can't wait for summer so i can get some started back up.

BN are great fish, I had a calico that cleared a 12 inch peice of wood of BBA in 2 days.

Gemini
02-14-2009, 10:52 PM
My BN cleared my BBA in a couple days too!! I feed mine Hikari Algae wafers, zucchini, cucumber, apple, grapes. He didn't like the spinach leaves I tried.

bushwhacker
02-15-2009, 01:00 AM
from what i understand these guys were raised on romaine lettus, but they sure do the job on brown algae

toddnbecka
02-15-2009, 03:28 AM
Actually, they were raised on NLS pellets and lightly nuked yam slices to supplement the algae growing in the tank. Can't beat 'em for keeping your tank clean. As for algae wafers or flakes, just read the ingredients to see how much vegetable material is in them. I have some spirulina flakes that actually list that as the first/main ingredient.