PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm, no ammonia?

Glub
02-14-2009, 09:36 PM
I've been asking around the city, and everyone seems to be saying "Pure ammonia? That's more of a thing from the 70's... Good luck finding it.".

I mean, there's really not many uses for it in a city like this, other than making bombs or drugs... So you know... Asking around for it was super fun...

So the chances of me finding pure ammonia seem slim.

One of the guys I spoke to was telling me that some people bury a dead fish in their gravel, or throw some fish food in the water and let it sit on the bottom going bad in order to create the ammonia to start the cycle...

So I don't know... What would you suggest I do?

I have 2 aquariums. A 29gal, and a 10gal. Both are well filtered (AC 70 on the 29gal, Whisper EX30 on the 10gal, I may change that depending how strong the flow from it is, or how much I could soften the flow).

It doesn't seem like I can get my hands on pure ammonia, but I'd rather do what I can to avoid cycling with fish...

So what are my options for getting both these tanks cycled?

(btw... If you're cycling two tanks... Does that make it a bi cycle?:hmm3grin2orange: )

Heliwyr
02-14-2009, 10:39 PM
You can use food. Just make sure you figure out a plan for measuring how much you put in. Later in the cycle, you'll want to back off how much is going into the tank and that's a lot easier when you know how much was going in in the first place.

I used pellets and later flakes to cycle mine...but really any food that rots can work. (The flakes seemed to rot the fastest, which left less of a mess because it would be gone in a few days.)

And when you finish and you're about to do your big water change, you'll want to vacuum some of the gravel to get any leftover food out. You don't want to clean all of it, just maybe half of the tank. And I would do that the day you are adding all your fish.

fins_n_fur
02-14-2009, 10:41 PM
<groans> over joke LOL

Where are you located? If you are in the US, if there is an Ace Hardware within a reasonable distance, they could be your "dealer" for ammonia.

Sharon
02-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Did you check the "cleaning supply" aisles?

escamosa
02-14-2009, 10:47 PM
I agree with Heliwyr, i just recently cycled a 20g tank useing food and added stress zyme (a bacteria booster), the cycle finished in less than 4 weeks.thumbs2:

Glub
02-14-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm in Canada, not the US.

I checked with a Canadian tire, and they said they didn't sell it, also checked with some people at the LFS to see if they knew a hardware store or cleaning supply, or even a product they carried. All of them seemed to say that the stuff hasn't been around for years.

I guess I could keep looking, but the food sounds like a good idea. I got some flake food in my tetra kit that I didn't plan to feed my fish, so now I might have a use for it after all.

Might it be easier to do the cycle in one tank with the food, then swap that filter into the other tank to get it cycled? Would save a bit of a mess in at least one of the tanks I think.

Lady Hobbs
02-14-2009, 11:12 PM
You can also use some feeder goldfish or put raw fish or shrimp in a big and sink it in your tank.

Your profile has no location so hard to know where you live. Family Dollars in the US has ammonia.

Sharon
02-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Most large Grocery stores here carry Ammonia...Try Dominion or Sobeys...maybe WalMart...it will be with the cleaning supplies. It's great for cleaning windows.

Lady Hobbs
02-15-2009, 02:12 AM
I love the comment that ammonia is something from the 70's. I bet dollar to a donut he's some kid and wasn't even around in the 70's much less knew of anything used in the 70's. He sounds arrogant and probably a legend "in his own mind", too.

Ammonia has been around 100 years just as Tide has and both still work just ducky. The smell of pure ammonia is tough so the companies started adding fragrances to it, additional soaps and lemons.

Smaller stores seem to have the pure ammonia more than the larger chains as well as Dollar Stores and as mentioned above, Ace Hardware known as Industrial Strength. The bottle doesn't state "pure ammonia". You look for the clear stuff and read the label. It will say if lemon or perfumes are added.

Northernguy
02-15-2009, 03:22 AM
I saw it at no frills in with the laundry detergents.

Wild Turkey
02-15-2009, 03:56 AM
Part of the problem may be, you arent looking for pure ammonia....which yea is really only good for science experiments including chemical warfare and drugs.

However, LIQUOR ammonia is what everyone is talking about and what all the hardware stores sell and stuff. Its water + ammonia

I dont know why people still say "pure ammonia"

You can find it online if nothing else.