PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Help.. :))

Demi ^_^
02-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Ok, ATM I have the following in my 42g:

2 Angelfish (Male + Female)
2 Glowlight Tetras (Started with 12, Angels ate the others, but have left these two)
4 Bronze Corys
3 Kuhlis
1 Mussel

Now I already know I need to get another 2 Corys and 3 Kuhlis, so tick them off teh list...

But the tank feels so empty.. Except for the bottom region.. A friend of ours has a smallish, scared little green severum that he no longer wants and has begged me to take the little cutie of his hands..

Would a Severum work... or not?

What else could/should I add to my small stock?

Eddie
02-14-2009, 12:56 PM
I'd say get some larger tetras and start a nice big school. I've kept my angels with serpe tetras with sucess as well as keeping the sucessfully with a large school of tiger barbs.

Demi ^_^
02-14-2009, 01:08 PM
My Angels are reallly aggressive ATM, although what is wierd enough, they havent harmed my last 2 small tetras..

I really have my eyes on a Severum ATM, but I am getting mixed ideas of what size they max. reach... Some sites say 6", some 8" others 12" !!!

Mvjnz
02-14-2009, 01:57 PM
If a tank looks empty, it's usually not because of a lack of fish, but more a lack in decoration. First thing I'd try is adding a background if you don't have one, and add lots more plants, and maybe some rocks/driftwood etc.

Demi ^_^
02-14-2009, 02:05 PM
I already have 5 very bushy fake plants, heaps of rocks and driftwood and a background, but I may add some more plants - thanks for the suggestion!

Sharon
02-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Demi...I've never kept Severums, but from the reading that I've done, I can't see why you couldn't add one. You won't have breeding issues, so any aggression would be curbed. I'd say, go for it!

Red
02-14-2009, 02:29 PM
IMO you could not add severums. The angels will have a all out battle with the sev. If that does not happen, like any other cichlid the sev will eat small tetras..

Sharon
02-14-2009, 02:37 PM
You may be right, Red. Although many keep them together successfully, Demi's Angels do sound aggressive....

troy
02-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Why not add some real plants to your tank. It will make your tank heaps better. Some low light plant options IME are java moss, java fern, crypts, duckweed, amazon swords, and anubius.

Demi ^_^
02-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Umm, my light is 6500kh (Or something like that) and **18** watt.... 42g with a 18watt.... Narhhh plants arent possible LOL

I am really craving this Severum... You know that feeling you have when you SOOOOO badly want to help something...? Well ATM, at a friends house, this Severum is in a 15G... I am gonna do mroe research and see if I can add him...

OH! And, in my 22g I have 6 Rummynose Tetras... I was thinking of maybe adding the 2 Glowlights from the 42g to their and then getting 6 more and 2 more Rummynoses - how does that sound..?

Sharon
02-15-2009, 12:33 AM
I know the feeling Demi! It's how I felt about my Clowns! If the friend wants rid if the Severum, can you try him in the tank, and have her take him back if the Angels give him trouble?...I know he'd be going back to a 15gal. but it may be worth a try. You could certainly move the Tetras, but the Angels may still be a problem. My Angel is very docile so I can't quite imagine the Angels attacking the Severum, but yours do sound very aggressive.

Red
02-15-2009, 12:47 AM
Demi, i would not try the severum. It will not work, the tank is to small to keep a severum and a pair of angels. Some argue that a 55 is bare min. for a severum, and thats just by its self. That is what research is going to tell you and they will eat little fish.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile22.html

Read the comments at the bottom of the page. It will not turn out good and really why ask for advice when you don't listen to it?

Sharon
02-15-2009, 01:13 AM
She is listening, Red, and she is researching...which is what she should be doing. There are many sites who state a 40gal tank is fine, more sites that say they can be kept with Angels. Demi, continue reading hun, and then make an informed decision!:ssmile:

SamAnthrax
02-15-2009, 01:18 AM
If the friend wants rid if the Severum, can you try him in the tank, and have her take him back if the Angels give him trouble?...I know he'd be going back to a 15gal. but it may be worth a try.

This would probably just stress the severum out more than it being stuck in a 15g.

I think its just too risky to try since your angels sound a bit aggressive from what others are saying. For it to work you would probably need a bigger tank.

Red
02-15-2009, 01:33 AM
http://aquariumlore.blogspot.com/2006/07/severum.html
http://www.centralpets.com/animals/fish/freshwater_fish/fwf4665.html

Even AC says they need a 55..
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/severum.php

If you want anything live with severums is a no-go because the will just shred it.

Demi ^_^
02-15-2009, 02:47 AM
Sorry you guys :scry: I guess I was just getting a bit too keen..

Sometimes I just need reminding that I cannot save every animal and fish in the world..

I *have* been researching them but many web sites had different ideas on the sizes and tank minimum..

I'll start looking for anotehr type of fish/fishes...

EDIT: BTW, please don't assume I am not listening Red Severum, On the first page I was getting mixed messages, so I kinda tried to ask again.. I am really sensitive and I love my fish as much as anyone here does.. I just get carried away sometimes :scry:

Red
02-15-2009, 02:49 AM
I understand demi, i have to stop myself everyday to save fish from petstores. Its just that you would not be happy in the long run because of fish that are attacking each other. BUt if you could find a home for it soon, i would take it off your friend. Your 42 is better in the short run for then a 15 gallon.

Demi ^_^
02-15-2009, 02:57 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/1zxqe8o.png

Here what the tank looks like..

mac
02-15-2009, 08:48 AM
HMM, to me IMO I would plant more plants at the back, fakes I mean. It helps to fill in space. Also IMO I would then just leave the tank a lone with a proper school of Corys and Kulies.

Red Severum great advice with the Severums. They really are not suited to a 40 gallon tank. As for keeping them with the Angels in a small tank like a 40 gallon along with severums is a no no. To much possible aggression more so if the Angels have paired up.

mac