PDA

View Full Version : Hair algae - aaah!

Ellen4God
02-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Well, I just noticed that I'm developing hair algae in my tank. I'm thinking maybe my lighting has a little to do with it - I probably leave my lights on way too long every day (like, at least 12 hours a day). So, I need to work on that. I may get a timer for it.

Is there a way I can get rid of it? I've heard it's a tough one to get rid of.

Rue
02-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Welcome to the Hair Algae Club...thumbs2:

...there's me...Hobbs...and several others...:hmm3grin2orange:

Deleted User
02-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Welcome to the Hair Algae Club...thumbs2:

...there's me...Hobbs...and several others...:hmm3grin2orange:

Yep I'm a member. :hmm3grin2orange:

fins_n_fur
02-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Welcome to the club...we may soon be able to start our own forum :hmm3grin2orange:

Ellen4God
02-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Oh boy - it must be VERY hard to get rid of then!!!! lol

fins_n_fur
02-13-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm trying a herbal remedy using rooibos tea, but not seeing much for results as of yet...probably need at least another week...We shall see!

Ellen4God
02-13-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm trying a herbal remedy using rooibos tea, but not seeing much for results as of yet...probably need at least another week...We shall see!

Definitely let me know how it goes!!

Can I just take the stuff out that it's growing on (log ornament and amazon sword) and scrub them?

Deleted User
02-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Mine grows on the leaves of my onion plants. No where else so I just cut off the leaves. Seems to be working too. :ssmile:

Ellen4God
02-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Mine grows on the leaves of my onion plants. No where else so I just cut off the leaves. Seems to be working too. :ssmile:

Hmm...good idea. I may just pluck those leaves out. It is on my log thing though. Can't pluck that out unless I want to buy something new lol

Deleted User
02-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Hmm...good idea. I may just pluck those leaves out. It is on my log thing though. Can't pluck that out unless I want to buy something new lol

Can't you take out the log and scrub it with a nail or tooth brush ( a new one not used )?

nwnittany
02-13-2009, 10:23 PM
I've had more hair algae in my tank, than hair on my head !!!

The only way I've gotten rid of it has been:

1. several periods of several days of very little light and no food
2. the chemical route (algae fix)

FWIW, I'm pretty sure problem has been too much lighting.... The latest round of experiments is doing just what you suggested - limiting the lighting to about 8 hours a day....

Ellen4God
02-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks! I think I'll do less than 8 hours even. I don't have work on Monday, so I'll be able to regulate amount of time I have the light on better than when I'm at work.

Should I lower the temp a little too? It's usually about 78f. Or does that not matter much?

Ellen4God
02-20-2009, 10:04 PM
I was just sitting here looking at my tank, and I realized that it's in a direct sunlight spot! It didn't dawn on me at first because it's not from a window in this room, but it's from the room off of this one. So, I reckon I'll just have to keep that door closed. Hopefully that'll help with the algae some!

Heliwyr
02-20-2009, 10:49 PM
I was just sitting here looking at my tank, and I realized that it's in a direct sunlight spot! It didn't dawn on me at first because it's not from a window in this room, but it's from the room off of this one. So, I reckon I'll just have to keep that door closed. Hopefully that'll help with the algae some!

I cut back a little on feeding (and got some shrimp to help with extra stuff), shut my blinds, and cut my lighting back to 12 hours a day. I have yet to see the long flowing manes of hair algae, though there are a couple of spots with a few strands.

Lady Hobbs
02-20-2009, 10:53 PM
I finally killed mine with 3 doses of peroxide.

Algenco
02-20-2009, 11:09 PM

There you go thumbs2:

Rue
02-20-2009, 11:19 PM
I think my BN pleco is eating my hair algae...

Ellen4God
02-21-2009, 01:32 AM

Peroxide? Like, hydrogen peroxide? (Yes, I am clueless. lol)

I bought a toothbrush tonight at Wal Mart (didn't have any unused ones lying around) to scrub my log ornament thing with. I just took snipped a couple leaves off my amazon sword that had it on there.

Oh yeah...meant to ask - shrimp help eat some of it? I've wanted to get some ghost shrimp (possibly some Red Cherry Shrimp-which I love!-at some point, but I think I was told that I wouldn't have enough room when I was going over stocking options...), but I'm going to wait until I get my Eco-Complete in the tank first. I'm planning on otos later on as I let some algae grow, so will those help too maybe?

Algenco
02-21-2009, 01:36 AM
Good old Hydrogen peroxide, direct application the the effected areas.
I use a syringe with a piece of airline in place of the needle

Ellen4God
02-21-2009, 01:38 AM
Good old Hydrogen peroxide, direct application the the effected areas.
I use a syringe with a piece of airline in place of the needle

Oooh, nice! I'll have to give that a shot (haha...shot...syringe...).

troy
02-21-2009, 06:30 AM
Shrimp add very little bioload to the tank so you could add a few. IME ghost shrimp eat very little if any algae.