PDA

View Full Version : African Cichlids?

cer
02-13-2009, 09:40 PM
What types of african cichlids can I put in a 55 gallon? How many of each type? I saw their is a type of african eel. Will that fit in the tank?

OscarFan
02-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Their are lots of African Cichlids that would go in a 55g. Anywhere from Shell Dwellers to Electric Blues. you could get 3 groups of about 5 medium sized or a group of larger ones or tons of small little guys.

cer
02-13-2009, 09:45 PM
What about the eel? Could some cobalt blues go in the tank?

toddnbecka
02-14-2009, 04:44 AM
The most common African spiney eel is the elipsifer, which grows too large for a 55. Plagiostoma's (my avatar pic) are smaller, suitable for a 55, but not as easy to find and more expensive when they are.
As for cichlids, do you want Malawians or Tanganykians? Stocking depends on the fish. Mbuna need to be crowded to spread the aggression around so that no one fish gets killed. Hap's or peacocks don't need to be as crowded, while Tanganykians are another matter altogether.
Blue cobalts are mbuna, quite aggressive, and would mix well with red (or orange) or OB (spotted like paintball splatter) zebras.

cer
02-14-2009, 03:31 PM
What are my choices for Tanganykians?

toddnbecka
02-14-2009, 05:36 PM
In a 55 you could keep shellies (colony of multi's or pair of others), pair of Julies or buescheri, and a pair of calvus/comps OR a group of Paracyp's. Maybe a group of Synodontis petricola/lucipinnis for cleanup, depending on stocking space and tank setup. If you don't want shellies you could substitute a pair of leleupi, but the two don't mix. Even the smaller Cyp's are better suited to larger tanks, and "Jumbo" species wouldn't work at all.
One other species that would work in a 55 is V. moorii, but a pair of those would reduce your other stocking options because the males claim a larger territory.

cer
02-15-2009, 07:12 PM
I like black calvus cichlids.

toddnbecka
02-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Calvus are fry predators. An established colony of multi's will reproduce successfully, possibly a pair of Julie's or buescheri if suitable cover is provided. Fry from most other species are likely to be picked off.