PDA

View Full Version : Is tank too small

30gallon
02-13-2009, 10:17 AM
I have a 30 gallon bare bottom tank with 4 discus (1.5 inches each). Is the tank too small for them? I don't have the option of getting a bigger tank, so what should I do with the tank now? Add plants? Driftwood? Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Dave66
02-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Discus grow to 8 inches long, and unless you can manage a 75 gallon or larger, I'd take them back to the store and select fishes that are more appropriate for an aquarium your size.

You could certainly plant the tank and add driftwood. The very fact that your Discus are still alive means you have water at least moderately soft and acidic. You could, over time, build a school of perhaps Harlequin Rasboras or similar, which thrive in well-planted tanks that have soft and slightly acidic water,

Good luck with the tank. And welcome to the forum.

Dkarc
02-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Well, a 30 gallon tank is fine for small fry like that. But as stated above, discus will eventually grow much larger and for the common hobbyist they might outgrow that tank. If you want to keep them and grow them out, I recommend as many water changes as you are able. The more the better. Tank cleanliness is key here, along with a high quality diet. Keep the temp warm, water changes frequent, and their diet a good one and they'll do fine.

-Ryan

Lady Hobbs
02-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Others have already said your tank is too small so I need to say nothing more there but I wondered if you ever cycled that 30 gallon?

That 30 would be a nice tank for a big school of rummynose tetra, cardinals or neons and those rasbora that Dave mentioned in his post.

toddnbecka
02-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Dwarf cichlids like Kribensis or apisto's would be much better suited to that size tank.

Eddie
02-15-2009, 12:14 AM
I agree with what everyone has said, dwarf cichlids would be much better suited for this tank. If you are looking for a tank that would be comfortable for these discus then i suggest you plan on a tank 75 gallons+. Since you have four, odds are you will have at least one pair of breeding fish, assuming they live to become big enough to spawn, and in that case you should start looking into another tank for raising fry/placing the breeding pair in their own tank to keep the other fish out of the breeding pair's territory and also this would give you a higher sucess rate of fry growing large enough to be sold.