PDA

View Full Version : I am so bummed!!

jimpierce
02-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Seriously now. I'm bummed out big time. Last few days my clams have been acting kind of funny. Every thing else in the tank has been doing fine. Water is good. Light is good.
As I checked on them today I noticed the bigger one was open............. and I could see threw it!!! Right behind it is the other clam with two hermit crabs ganging up on it!! Chowing down.
I really did not know this could happen. Poor clams!!! Damnitall!! Guess I better pull them out huh?

Rue
02-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Sorry your clams are in trouble! :ssuprised:

jimpierce
02-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I think the trouble started a couple days ago. The shell for the Maxima clam is picked clean.

cocoa_pleco
02-12-2009, 11:13 PM
join the club! lol. my lunar wrasse picked my tridacna clean

jimpierce
02-13-2009, 01:32 AM
I just spoke with the guy at my LFS. He doesn't think the crabs did the killing. As I said, everything else in my tank is doing great. He said it is not unusual for a clam to be doing fine one day then dead the next with out warning.
The only change in my tank is I started mixing my own water.
The LFS where I was getting my water uses Marine Enviroment 2 part salt mix.
I have been using Instant Ocean.
Could this have caused a problem with the clams?

labnjab
02-13-2009, 01:43 AM
If you've mixed it right it shouldn't. What are your calcium levels? we use IO salt, and the calcium drops 20-40 ppm every water change so we have to supplement it. Low Calcium could have do it, but I don't know for sure, we don't have a clam....yet:hmm3grin2orange:

jimpierce
02-13-2009, 06:03 AM
I do suppliment already. Just for the clams!! huh. I guess I can slow down on the filter feeder food now huh?

Dave66
02-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Remind me what your lighting setup is, Jim. Sounds like your clams bleached out because of too much, too little or the wrong spectrum of light. The hermits were just cleaning up the dead clam.

If it ain't the light, NSW could have been skewed to the point where there wasn't enough of a mineral or minerals for the clams, and the symbiotic organisms fled the flesh because of it.

How much and how long did you do the switch in salt water sources?

Dave

Rue
02-13-2009, 03:35 PM
If it makes you feel any better...I came home last night to find my clam dead too...

...I had no indication that it wasn't doing well...:scry:

unleashed
02-13-2009, 07:27 PM
From my experience, smaller clams seems to do worse in aquariums than larger ones.

I have also seen shrimps (cleaners, blood/fire/ and coral banded etc) tear seemingly healthy small clams to shreds

jimpierce
02-14-2009, 12:41 AM
for lighting I am currently running a Nova Extreme Pro, six tube fixture with these lamps,

from the front to back

ATI blue plus
ATI true actinic
UVL 10000k Aquasun
ATI blue plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aqua blue

I started mixing my own water about a month ago or so. I use RO water too.

I did just notice that when I add the B-Ionic to the tank a few of my corals duck and cover so to speak. I think I will let it go threw the sump first from now on.