PDA

View Full Version : Reptile heating pads

freshwaterfishlover
02-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I bought a Reptile heating pad today. On the back it was telling you what temperature is needed for what Reptile. This may sound like a stupid question, but how do you change the temp on a reptile heating pad?

Rue
02-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Mine don't have thermostats, so they just heat at the one temp. But mine are under the tank, and then there's a layer of bark chips over top (inside the tank), so it never gets too hot. But you should check periodically to make sure they're not malfunctioning and over-heating.

I have a snake, she doesn't burrow.

Fishguy2727
02-12-2009, 09:23 PM
You don't. And I generally ignore the exact temps in the cage. In general the reptile will tell you if it is too hot or too cold. If they are too cool they will always be as close to the heat source as possible. If they are too hot they will be at the other end of the tank. You want all the heat sources at one end so they can go where they want.

I found that just a heat pad was not nearly enough for my leopard geckos. It is still good because it supplies belly heat (and never needs to be replaced like bulbs). But I added a 100 watt (I think) ceramic heat emitter. I did check the temp in there, it is 95F in the warmest area, so it is ideal.

What reptile?
What size tank?

smaug
02-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Thermostats are sold seperatly for use with such items.You simply plug them into these devices and they control the time the pad stays on .They must be used in conjunction with a manual thermometer as they dont actually function to a heat setting but by % of time on.

invadertoast
02-12-2009, 10:24 PM
On my leopard gecko cages (actually plastic drawers) I run my heating pads (actually large strips if heat tape, but basically the same) on rheostats and watch my temps with a digital thermometer. My wooden ball python cage has a radiant heat panel that's run on a rheostat with a heat probe, so it turns off when it reaches temp and comes on again when needed.

Depending on your animal/type of cage/what substrate you have, you may or may not need to use a heat controlling device (though I always do, better safe than burned!)

freshwaterfishlover
02-12-2009, 10:26 PM
10g
Carrottail Gecko.

10g with 2 Regular Tree Frogs I have just 1 UVA Lamp I have on like 4 hours a day.

20G with 2 Regular Anoles that has 1 UVA Lamp and 1 heat lamp on 16 1/2 Hours a day.

37g with Cuban Knight Anoles has 1 UVA Lamp, 1 Heat lamp and a Floresant light strip. On 16 1/2 hours

38g with Florida Red Belly Turtle. Submergable heater, 1 UVA Lamp and Floresant Light Strip.

I plan to have a Heating pad and a heat lamp in the Gecko tank. 16 1/2 heat lamp on.

Fishguy2727
02-13-2009, 01:45 AM
What kind of heat lamp? I would just use a ceramic heat emitter and leave it on all the time. They last years as opposed to months.

freshwaterfishlover
02-15-2009, 04:04 AM
Heat Lamp with a 60W or 80W bulb. I changed my mind. The heat lamp will only be on 4 1/2 hours a day like my Frogs since they do not like light.