PDA

View Full Version : Planted Tank Substrate ?

dbmaven
02-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Setting up a new tank, want to use Eco-Complete or ADA Aquasoil Amazonia for most of the substrate, with a pocket of sand in the front/center.

My question essentially is this: are there any concerns or issues using Eco/ADA with plecos? I have a large 9+ inch plec that will be going in there, and don't want to make a mistake....

Thanks in advance.

plant boy
02-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Both the eco complete and the amazona are good substrates.I personaly use in my tanks eco complete because it is nice and clean when it goes in the tank with water.Plus it has live bacteria in the package with the soil.So that is nice.I have 2 albino plecos in my tank and there as happy as can be.So you pleco would be fine with either.

Algenco
02-17-2009, 11:48 PM
having the sand will be a problem, big plecs stir thing up too much

dbmaven
02-18-2009, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the replies.

In doing further research, I've decided not to go with sand, but with a 'fine river pebble' - something that runs between 2 and 5mm in size.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it !

Fishguy2727
02-18-2009, 02:36 AM
I use Estes' Marine Sand in all my tanks, and all are planted. I just use liquid fertilizers.

dbmaven
02-18-2009, 02:39 AM
You use Estes Marine Sand with large plecos?

Really ? How bad do they stir it up?

Fishguy2727
02-18-2009, 03:54 AM
How large are you talking about?

The biggest plecos I have had it with were probably only about 6", but I have had them in with cichlids, goldfish, loaches, cories, etc. The nice thing about this sand is that it is heavy, so it sinks very fast after being stirred up. To be extra safe I keep all intakes at least halfway up the tank.

dbmaven
02-18-2009, 02:10 PM
My plec is 9" now and still growing...

I'll see how I like the look of the small river pebble. I can always switch to sand before I get the tank fully set up and planted. :ssmile:

Fishguy2727
02-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Good. I just can't stand gravel anymore. Since all my tanks are now sand it doesn't make sense for me personally to use gravel, which traps tons of debris and requires you to do more maintenance and less enjoying. There are few exceptions. My snappping turtle is on gravel because of the type of filtration I need to use in his setup (internal power filters that sit against the substrate in shallow water).

Lady Hobbs
02-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Reminds me of the story I told of my sons 100 gallon that contained one Oscar. The Oscar got spooked, threw up a stone and smashed the tank as my son sat there and watched all that water pour out onto his new carpeting.

Wild Turkey
02-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Reminds me of the story I told of my sons 100 gallon that contained one Oscar. The Oscar got spooked, threw up a stone and smashed the tank as my son sat there and watched all that water pour out onto his new carpeting.

Ugh, thats a horror story hobbs:ssuprised:

Lady Hobbs
02-18-2009, 03:08 PM
What's even worse is he broke his 300 gallon, as well, before he could even get it set up! He had the glass leaning against his basement wall, the sun was reflecting on it all day, and heated up and broke it.

Algenco........if I may, I would like to know if the Schultz can be alone in the tank or does it need to be topped with something......like topsoil does.