PDA

View Full Version : Newbie anxious to learn

Macleod52
02-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Hello all, I am very new to the fish business. I have several friends who all have tanks, but I couldn't afford the initial cost of the hobby. I have a friend who gratiously is letting me borrow (hopefully willing to sell) a 40 gal tank & stand with a Whisper 30-60 & Aquaclear 70 filters.

Currently I'm on my 3rd or 4th week of the cycle. I'm using 3 small goldfish and about 18 (4 weaker ones died about the 3rd day in) danio's/rosey reds. My ammonia finally dropped to zero and my nitrites have spiked. I figure I've got about two more weeks for my cycle to complete.

Anyway, I plan on starting a Cichlid tank. I'm planning on African Cichlids, more than likely the mbuna's. I also plan on getting 2-3 pleco's and a red tail shark.

A few questions that I haven't seen in my brief searchings of the forum. Can I intermix African, American, etc. cichlids? I know the agression level differs, but if you get some that are roughly the same temperment, is it possible to have them coexist with each other? Next question is how many fish can I add at one time? I planned on adding the pleco and red tailed shark first, then a week or two later add two cichlids at a time.

How many fish can I add at one time without shocking the system so badly that it cylces again? Also, what is the max amount of fish I could put in here? I'm thinking 4-6 Cichlids, 2-3 Plecos, and the red tail shark. Is that too much, or just right?

Thanks, and I look forwards to learning all sorts of new things.

Alfcea
02-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Hello Mac! Welcome to the fabulous AC!!! It's good to know that you are enjoying the hobby. Keep up with those water changes! They are very much needed when cycling with fish!

Crispy
02-12-2009, 06:17 PM
A few questions that I haven't seen in my brief searchings of the forum. Can I intermix African, American, etc. cichlids? I know the agression level differs, but if you get some that are roughly the same temperment, is it possible to have them coexist with each other? Next question is how many fish can I add at one time? I planned on adding the pleco and red tailed shark first, then a week or two later add two cichlids at a time.

Welcome to the AC!
You can mix african with american but it'll take a bit of research and probably some trial and error (at least you seem to know about agression differences). Most people will tell you not to mix them, but it can be done with beautiful results (I mix geos with frontosas), and I love it... try to introduce the least aggressive fish first IMO... as for how many and when to add them, I'm no expert there...

Brookfish
02-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum! :22:

Poofaye C.
02-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Wow, you're talk'in about a huge bio-load there. You'll need both of those filters for sure. You're talking about the 40gal. right? Maybe hold off on the two or three plecos. Depending on what kind of pleco you want, one can be pushing it fo a 40gal.
For that tank, I would stick with some of the smaller cichlids in order to house a few of them. Remember those aggressive guys want their own space, and that's kinda hard in a 40. Please don't get me wrong, there's plenty of options for a 40.

Welcome by the way, you'll get great advice here.

Sharon
02-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Welcome!:19:

Macleod52
02-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Thank you for all your replies.

I will definitely have to re-evaluate my plans and do my homework. I will have to take lots of notes and make suitable choices.

Poofaye, do you have any recommendations for my setup? I know for sure I want the cobalt blue (electric blue?) and bright yellow cichlids. You'll have to pardon my ignorance, I'm not sure what they're called. I know that my wife and I are looking at the more colorful species.

As for size, am I looking to get ones that are around 4" fully grown? What if I were to get 1 pleco, 1 red tail, and 6-8 4" cichlids, does that seem like a happy medium?

I welcome all criticism's and suggestions.

korith
02-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Hi welcome to the site. Keep in mind some plecos can get fairly large very quickly.

Macleod52
02-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi welcome to the site. Keep in mind some plecos can get fairly large very quickly.

Yeah, so I've read. I can't remember the website, but it has all the pics of the different pleco's the sell and how large they'll get. Unfortunately all the ones I like require a minimum of 75 gallons. Oh well.

korith
02-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah, so I've read. I can't remember the website, but it has all the pics of the different pleco's the sell and how large they'll get. Unfortunately all the ones I like require a minimum of 75 gallons. Oh well.

Well if you really have your heart set on a certain type of pleco, talk to your local fish stores. Sometimes they will let you trade in a fish for a smaller one when it gets too large for your tank.

Crispy
02-12-2009, 08:51 PM

I got steered to plecofanatics.com and got all kinds of pleco info. They have an L-number list that shows all the different types (hundreds) and small writeups on each. A really good pleco reference spot.

Deleted User
02-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Hi welcome to AC. :ssmile:

Macleod52
02-12-2009, 09:07 PM
I got steered to plecofanatics.com and got all kinds of pleco info. They have an L-number list that shows all the different types (hundreds) and small writeups on each. A really good pleco reference spot.

Awesome! I will have to check that site out. Thanks.

Northernguy
02-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:

troy
02-13-2009, 01:58 AM
A 40g tank won't be big enough for the fish you want. Welcome to AC!

kvuyk2
02-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Welcome to the AC, Macleod!

donvichu
02-14-2009, 02:29 AM
Hello there....sorry for welcoming you late in to our family.....welcome aboardthumbs2: thumbs2:

fishlover49
02-14-2009, 02:56 AM
Welcome aboard! thumbs2: