PDA

View Full Version : Up keep on pond

Bella
02-12-2009, 05:32 PM
I have been dying to install a pond at my house. What are some of the up keep problems that you come across? Is there a lot of expense involved once it is setup? Best outdoor fish for a pond? Thanks for your help

Rue
02-12-2009, 05:35 PM
It's a lot of work. And it's worth doing well. Most of the problems people have encountered seem to be as a result of taking short-cuts or cutting corners.

Adequate filtration and depth seem to be key.

But it's so beautiful when it's all set-up and mature.

Poofaye C.
02-12-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't have much to add but, do it!!....do it!!!! If you have a few extra bucks to throw around. There are alot of do yourself kits out there, maybe there's a good one out there. Research, research, research. That and the AC, and you can probebly pull it off yourself.

My girlfriend and I can't decide whether to redo the kitchen or go for the pond in the backyard. I bet I know what our AC peeps will suggest!! Maybe I'll start a poll one day.lol!!!

[Adequate filtration and depth seem to be key.] Absolutely... many people don't digg deep enough. The fish need it deep enough to help with the heat and cold......next.....I've got nothing else.....thumbs2:

Fishguy2727
02-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Almost all the cost and effort involved with a pond (and an aquarium) are at the beginning. After that it is water changes and maintaining filters.

As with anything in fishkeeping if you cut corners you are hurting yourself big time in the long run.

In most of Florida you can have almost anything you want in a pond, no need to stick the the coolwater pond fish most of the rest of the country has to stick with.

toddnbecka
02-12-2009, 07:07 PM
I have a small pond in the back yard, came with the house. It's concrete, only 17" deep, so I just use it for a water lily garded. There are rosy reds (fathead minnows) in the pond to eat mosquito larvae, but no pump or filter, and I don't do water changes. When the level drops from summer evaporation I do top it off with the hose, but if rainfall is sufficient even that isn't necessary.

Slow Cheetah
02-15-2009, 02:08 AM
ya i have goldfishs in a pond and all i do is feed them weekly with flakes and they feast on mosquito larvae most of the time.

just weekly top ups with the hose

evesta
02-27-2009, 09:37 PM
I agree, the expense for a pond is in the build. Make it as big as you can afford and have room for. I built a 2000 gallon pond and wish I can gone bigger. You won't have to worry about overwintering like I do but you will still want to dig deep so the fish have a cool area at the bottom and to add gallons. Also if you are going to keep koi, 3 to 4 feet is a minimum.

As for maintanence, you will have it year round and the warmer it is, the more the fish eat, the more the filters need cleaned. I clean filter mats every week during the hottest days of summer. If you keep most of your pond bottom rock free and put in a bottom drain it is MUCH easier to keep the pond clean and do water changes. Overfiltering also makes things easier and fish happy. I would recommend a UV light to keep the water from going greenthumbs2:

Have fun!