PDA

View Full Version : Just discovered Oto cats!!!

Rue
02-09-2007, 03:18 PM
I don't know how it happened...but I only discovered Oto cats yesterday!!!:4:

LOL...how could I have missed them?

I've avoided Chinese Algae Eaters because of possible aggression...plecs grow too big for my tank...and I have my cory cats (luv 'em!) and my mollies...but could still use an algae eater...

I think Oto cats might be just the thing...

Does anyone know of any reason I shouldn't get them for the 25 g tank? And if so, how many should I get?

Severus
02-09-2007, 03:28 PM
As long as you have a peaceful community you will be fine. Otto cats work wonders! Good luck

Rue
02-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks!!!

I'll see if the petstore has any on Monday...:D

KneeKickLou
02-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Are they good for all types of alage in all different locations i.e. rocks, fake plants, glass, filter tubes? Looking for something to keep mine down and this looks like a winner.

Chrona
02-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Siamese Algae Eaters work great too, and eat the black beard algae that nothing else will. Make sure it's a true siamese algae eater though, it shouldn't have a white line above its black stripe, since other similar species are more aggressive.

minabird
02-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Are they good for all types of alage in all different locations i.e. rocks, fake plants, glass, filter tubes? Looking for something to keep mine down and this looks like a winner.

They'll eat most, except for the black beard algae. For that type of algea, get an SAE as Chrona suggested.

Otto cats are great! They are small, ~1.5" as adults and are delicate algae eaters; meaning they won't destroy plants while eating algae from their leaves. They can also fit into all the tiny nooks and crannies that plecos, SAEs, and CAEs can't. Any they're not territorial or aggressive the way CAEs become. Otto cats do best in schools.

They are sensitive to acclimating so introduce them to your tank very slowly. My aclcimation process for them was to float the bag for 20-30 minutes; add a cup of water to the bag and float for another 20-30 minutes. Repeat twice then introduce into the tank. Make sure there is algae for them to eat and supplement with algae or veggie wafers. They also love fresh veggies like zucchini from what I've heard.