PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Divider

aquasteph
02-12-2009, 07:21 AM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/795/medium/fry_bin2.JPG

So my Balloon Belly Molly had 41 fry on Sunday morning, and I felt bad that they all were crammed in a breeder, so I decided to make a divider for the tank so they could swim freely. I found a piece of plexi-glass, scored it with a utility knife and broke it with my weight and a some pliers. Of course it didn't break perfectly so I found some fabric, cut a long strip, soaked it in hot water/chlor-out to make sure that it wouldn't bleed out into the water. I rolled it up and shoved it along the holey uneven edge to block the holes. It worked great! I laid some sand down for them and put a few hiding places and they're very happy. All of them seem to be pretty active and are eating. No one is showing signs of having ich (like my last batch did, only one survived :scry: ). (It's very strange, the only one who survived seems to be completely immune to ich now, and has never caught it even when other fish in my tank have. )

I'm pretty proud of myself for my divider! :19:

gm72
02-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Nice job for a quick fix, but is there any water circulation between the 2 sections? Otherwise if the heater and filter are on the other side you'll have temperature drop and near complete lack of circulation.

Eddie
02-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Congradulations on the fry!

that's some good quick thinking to save those fry. as long as the circulation is fine I don't see a problem with that, if the circulations becomes a problem then I suggest you just put the babies in the breeder and let them grow out that way. If that seems to cruel still, I suggest investing in some simple floating plants and letting the babies hide there and make it a matter of survival of the fittest.

aquasteph
02-12-2009, 10:43 PM
I moved the heater right next to the divider and put the filter so it is right next to the heater and half of it is running into the side with the fry, the other half in the regular tank. It's pulling warm water from the main tank so hopefully that will be good.

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely keep my eye on the temperature!

gm72
02-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Cool, good thinking!