PDA

View Full Version : Platies dying

Lady Hobbs
02-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Strange how you can go ages without a fish dying and then loose several at once. I only had 4 platies and have lost 2 in the last week and think another is about to go. Water is perfect with weekly water changes. I've had the platies about 8 months.

The only problem I can think of is that they are in the the angelfish and possibly the temps at a constant 80 is not good for them. Also, because of the angel, I use no salt. They lived 8 months with these same conditions so why now?

They start hanging on the bottom, lose their color then die. I wonder if they are eating too much as I feed the angel 3 times daily.

crackatinny
02-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I am sure you would have taken upmost care of them, thing with the likes of platys, guppies, mollies, and those with only a few years lifespan, you don't know there age when you buy them.

Lady Hobbs
02-09-2007, 01:05 PM
True but they were bright red and looking so healthy just a week ago. I also have an angelfish in another tank with frayed fins. What the heck is going on? She is with 7 juvies that swim around her constantly but don't nip at her (that I have seen). Guess she will need to be moved into isolation as well. Not sure if frayed fins is bacterial or fungal. I see no parasite. sheesh

Abbeys_Mom
02-09-2007, 02:01 PM
I had something similar happen with my weather loaches. I had 4 of them for 6 years (adult when I bought them). The all died with in the same time period, 2 in one month and the other 2 the next month. They seemed fine till a day or so before they died, then they would slow down, lazy around looking paler and the next day they would be dead. I think fish are careful not to appear old or sick, because the other fish would pick at them.

Lady Hobbs
02-09-2007, 02:36 PM
It's been an odd week.

20 gallon......one dead neon this week
30 gallon......two dead platies
55 gallon......catfish with fungus and angelfish with frayed fins.

That's what I get for bragging my fish are doing soooo well. I have treated the 55 gallon with fungal meds since I can't catch the catfish and possibly is the reason for the anglefish having frayed fins. Also moved the remaining platies into this tank to be treated, as well. Great! There goes with my cycle going to heck.

I hate frayed fins as you don't know what's causing it. Could be bacterial or fungal. Could be parasite or being nipped by others. What to do, what to do?

Lady Hobbs
02-10-2007, 02:21 PM
I treated for fungas yesterday and catfish is now clear. I believe the angelfish is just being nibbled on by the juvies so I only have angels in this tank now so they all have more room.

I moved the 55 gallon the day before adding the fungas meds and believe it or not, no set back at all with the move and with the meds. Yeaaaa

Chrona
02-10-2007, 07:51 PM
I read somewhere that livebearer average life expectancy goes way down at temps in the 80ish level (although they are much more active for those months). I'll see if I can find the article.

Lady Hobbs
02-10-2007, 08:35 PM
My other two are acting much better today. They're in the tank now that I treated for fungas so who knows?

fishlips28
02-26-2007, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE=hobbs]The only problem I can think of is ...and possibly the temps at a constant 80 is not good for them.QUOTE]

I have three of Adam's platies and for awhile, they were at 80 and they seemed to be fine. Although, the temp is now 78...because of my krib. Not sure what to say...considering I'm not an expert and I'm the one needing help all the time, but I hope that your fish are doing better now!

Lady Hobbs
02-26-2007, 06:12 PM
The remaining two are just fine now. I withheld food from them for two days. I think they were just eating too much and possibly became constipated.