PDA

View Full Version : Platies and a Betta

Pandora
02-12-2009, 04:33 AM
Hi, we have a 10g tank with 4 platies in it. Would a betta be ok in there, or would we be better off trying something else (or nothing else)? Any advice welcome.

s72450
02-12-2009, 12:40 PM
I would think no because I've been in a similar situation and noticed that the platies would nip at the betta's long fins.

The only success I've had with putting other fish with a betta have been cories. In fact the cories and the betta schooled together, it was cute.

terrapin24h
02-12-2009, 02:26 PM
dunno about the betta(prob depends on the betta), but you could try a dwarf gourami, they are a member of the same family as bettas, and are known to go well with live bearers(mine go well together). There are many very pretty varieties too.

--chris

Limekayak
01-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Platies are a subtropical fish, i.e cooler water. Bettas are a tropical fish, warmer water

genocidex
01-27-2011, 01:47 AM
the temps im seeing for plattys are max of 77 and betas are min of 75. its a close line but it might be do-able. as ive been told many times here tho (just passing the advice on) betas and other fish are useually hit miss. if it doesnt work out (temp or temperamental) be prepared to move the betta and or find a new home.

flydustydawg
01-27-2011, 01:54 AM
The temperature is not your biggest issue. You could keep it at about 78 and be just fine.

Like others have said it depends on the betta. I have had some that are very aggressive. One I owned would actually jump out of the water and bite me. Then there are some that wont hurt a fly. Most of them are in-between.

You could try it but you would need a backup plan if it didnt work out. If you cant have an extra tank, then its probably not a good idea.

lotus flower
01-27-2011, 02:24 AM
You might try a female betta instead of a male. I find that my female is very easy-going...she never seems to bother my mystery snail, never goes after my hand when I stick it in the water, and she's very laid-back about the frequent water changes I have to do. Nothing really seems to phase her, and she really does have more personality than the males I've had previously. Plus, females don't have the long fins that males have, so there's less to be nipped.

kingkarter
01-27-2011, 05:39 PM
The temperature is not your biggest issue. You could keep it at about 78 and be just fine.

Like others have said it depends on the betta. I have had some that are very aggressive. One I owned would actually jump out of the water and bite me. Then there are some that wont hurt a fly. Most of them are in-between.

You could try it but you would need a backup plan if it didnt work out. If you cant have an extra tank, then its probably not a good idea.

I agree. Bettas with othere fish are a hit and miss type of deal some time you'll get a betta that won't hurt anythig or like flydustydawg said you could have one that will jump out and try to bite you. So any time you try a betta in a community tank you need to have a back up tank incase thing don't turn out how you wanted.

[QOUTE=lotusflower]You might try a female betta instead of a male. I find that my female is very easy-going...she never seems to bother my mystery snail, never goes after my hand when I stick it in the water, and she's very laid-back about the frequent water changes I have to do. Nothing really seems to phase her, and she really does have more personality than the males I've had previously. Plus, females don't have the long fins that males have, so there's less to be nipped.[/QUOTE]

That is a good option but female can be highly aggressive to.

chrisfraser05
01-27-2011, 06:23 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO and a last almighty NO! lol

In all seriousness it's not something I would ever do again.

I took advice from the most experianced salesman I know and put a betta in my small community a long time back (about 9 months lol) and it ended in the death of one platy in only 2 hours.

The platy had a nice big red spot on its head and I could see the littlest one trying to wake it up on the floor of the tank.
Now I'm no softie, infact often (mainly due to my job) far from it.
My heart melted watching that little platy and would hate to see that again.

Bettas are not suitable in a tank with any similar sized and or bright coloured fish. This is when they deffend against what they think is another betta and get themself in trouble (with the keeper).

If you like the look and relitive grace/peacefullness(ha) of a betta why not try a single small breed of gourami?

A honey gourami might be a good choice.

Chris

kingkarter
01-27-2011, 06:53 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO and a last almighty NO! lol

In all seriousness it's not something I would ever do again.

I took advice from the most experianced salesman I know and put a betta in my small community a long time back (about 9 months lol) and it ended in the death of one platy in only 2 hours.

The platy had a nice big red spot on its head and I could see the littlest one trying to wake it up on the floor of the tank.
Now I'm no softie, infact often (mainly due to my job) far from it.
My heart melted watching that little platy and would hate to see that again.

Bettas are not suitable in a tank with any similar sized and or bright coloured fish. This is when they deffend against what they think is another betta and get themself in trouble (with the keeper).

If you like the look and relitive grace/peacefullness(ha) of a betta why not try a single small breed of gourami?

A honey gourami might be a good choice.

Chris

Some can be kept with othere fish it just dependes on the betta. I keep my betta with othere and have never had a problem

flydustydawg
01-27-2011, 11:41 PM

This is a good point. The size and coloration may play a large factor in aggression. Even if the betta was ok with some fish like tetras and such, he may not be ok with a Platy due to similar features.

It might work, but if I had to say do or don't, I would go with don't.

genocidex
01-28-2011, 01:09 AM
id say go with it. worst case you can get a 2 dollar strainer from wallmart (plastic) and if there is an issue separate the betta by putting it in the strainer. bully fish can be handled this way also. then look for a better home for the betta. you wont know till you try. but defiantly set aside some time to watch the fish for the first few days or a couple weeks. make notes if u are questioning something.

flydustydawg
01-28-2011, 01:26 AM
NO... You need to have a better home ready for the betta. You cant just leave it in strainer until you find a better home for it.

kingkarter
01-28-2011, 01:28 AM
NO... You need to have a better home ready for the betta. You cant just leave it in strainer until you find a better home for it.

Yep i agree. You need to have anothere tank set up (mininum tank size 2.5g)for the betta if things don't go the way you wan't.

genocidex
01-28-2011, 02:05 AM
i didnt mean it as a indefinite set up i ment it as a "oh poo the betta is going psycho. separate!!!" emergency
still have the tank yet but this will give u the time to get it up and going warm it up ect (how ever the tank's status is) im not recommending it for more than a couple of hours.

kingkarter
01-28-2011, 05:11 AM
i didnt mean it as a indefinite set up i ment it as a "oh poo the betta is going psycho. separate!!!" emergency
still have the tank yet but this will give u the time to get it up and going warm it up ect (how ever the tank's status is) im not recommending it for more than a couple of hours.

Thats why you set it up ahead of time. If you don't have a tank ready right then you should keep the betta in a breeder trap/net.

CassieLEO
01-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Lets not forget that he said 4 platies already in a 10 gallon tank. A betta would be too much bioload anyways...

chrisfraser05
01-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Ah ha, this was something I considdered after my first post but forgot to come back.

Platys are cute little fish for the first year but they actually get to be a good old size. They have a ravenous apetite too.

If you look at the vid in my journal my biggest platy is nearly 3" and she would eat every last drop before a betta got near the food.

They are like goldfish the way they eat and poop. Defo 4 in a 10G is at its limit!

genocidex
01-28-2011, 10:57 AM
ooops thats something i never took into consideration.

AussieJosh1996
02-03-2011, 02:27 AM
I have no experience with Bettas but my Platy is very timid and never nips at other fish so I think the Platys would be ok with the Betta but don't know what the Betta would do to the Platys.

Joshthumbs2: