PDA

View Full Version : A Aponogeton CRISPUS

Hailey
02-12-2009, 02:53 AM
I picked one up yesterday, anyone else have one? I hear they flower too! If you have any tips on caring for this plant I would love to hear it, thanks!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-12-2009, 03:38 AM
I had a lot of them in my 75gal tnak. I'll warn you, they get huge, I had 30" leaves on mine. They do flower, however it's not exactly an attractive looking thing, and when these plants flower, they put all their energy into flowering and not much into growing. Everytime mine would flower, I would prun the flower stem. An A. crispus flower can reach the top of a 21" high tank in under 2 days under the right conditions. If you want good growth out of it though, use root tabs as that is their preferred method of nutrient intake.

DrNic
03-22-2009, 06:14 PM
I've had these plants too. I currently have 3 of them. Nice plants, easy to maintain for the most part other than their leaves getting knotted up. I agree with bard about the flowers. They are nice but not exactly what one might expect. The flowers grow to the surface and 'bloom' as a white series of flowers. They are nice but and almost impossible to see if you keep the water in your tank filled all the way. If you have good movement of water in your tank you may also end up with small plants after the flowering. These smaller plants will usually hang onto the parent for a while then fall off and root somewhere in the tank. I am always finding them in my gravel and moving them around.