PDA

View Full Version : decided against the quaker and now getting english budgie!

lovleeko
02-11-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm so excited. These guys are just weaned form being handfed and are supposed to be violet or lilac colored which is sort of harder to find. I'm so excited. I think it will be a bit less complex than a quaker and easier for my first bird. Supposed to get it tomorrow. I'll post pics then :)

Jellygirl
02-11-2009, 11:49 PM
I cant wait to see pics of your baby budgie.

I was always of the opinion that budgies were from austrailia, so the mind boggles as to what you are getting. I think I have an idea though. We have kept budgies in the past, one of them was a very good talker. lol They are ideal for children and easy to keep.

Love violet or cobalt blue ones.

Keep us posted and I look foward to some pictures.:ssmile:

Jellygirl.

Sharon
02-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Congrats, lovleeko...I googled the Quaker, and they do seem to be a handful! Looking forward to the pics!thumbs2:

Jellygirl
02-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Well now I have learned something - guess that's why I'm here. I didn't realise there was a difference with budgies.

So there lovleeko you never stop learning lol. I wanted the violet or blue - they are quite hard to find here also and then my niece went and bred some. The violet was a complete surprise for her.

Jellygirl

lovleeko
02-12-2009, 12:19 AM
I cant wait to see pics of your baby budgie.

I was always of the opinion that budgies were from austrailia, so the mind boggles as to what you are getting. I think I have an idea though. We have kept budgies in the past, one of them was a very good talker. lol They are ideal for children and easy to keep.

Love violet or cobalt blue ones.

Keep us posted and I look foward to some pictures.:ssmile:

Jellygirl.

Well yes budgies are from australia. The term american and english budgie are used to classify the variety. American budgies are the commonly seen parakeets mostly sold in pet stores. The english budgie is the show variety which are twice the size and a bit fluffier (for lack of a better word :) They don't live as long though. They are also known to be more mellow. I will definitly be keeping you guys updatde and will have pics :)

lovleeko
02-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Well now I have learned something - guess that's why I'm here. I didn't realise there was a difference with budgies.

So there lovleeko you never stop learning lol. I wanted the violet or blue - they are quite hard to find here also and then my niece went and bred some. The violet was a complete surprise for her.

Jellygirl

LOL. The breeder is calling them lilac, but from what I read they are the same thing. There is a bird show here this weekend and I thought about waiting but don't want to miss my chance at one of these guys.

Mvjnz
02-12-2009, 03:34 AM
Congrats:)

American and English budgie are not really commonly used among breeders anymore, as they are slightly misleading. They are now usually called pet type and show type, the latter being what was formerly known as English budgie.

It was called English because the variety was selectively bred in England, but where the American budgie got its name I'm not really clear on.

The original budgie which is much smaller and not commonly kept as pets is refered to as 'bush budgie'.

KrytterKrys
02-12-2009, 04:27 AM
Congrats on getting a new fid! I breed both types of budgies and def prefer the "english" over the "american" type, they are alot calmer and are usually better talkers as well...your also on the BB forum arent you? :)

lovleeko
02-12-2009, 05:43 AM
Congrats on getting a new fid! I breed both types of budgies and def prefer the "english" over the "american" type, they are alot calmer and are usually better talkers as well...your also on the BB forum arent you? :)

HAHA!! I was just wondering if that user name was familiar:hmm3grin2orange: As you can see, yes I am. I also prefer the english. I'm so excited. Now I have a new obsession! BIRDS!!! How funny that we ran into each other on both forums. LOL I am trying to do just one bird vs my obsession with fish were tanks are all over :hmm3grin2orange:
Never heard they were better talkers. YAY

KrytterKrys
02-12-2009, 06:14 AM
LOL ya my username is the same on both forums :P but yeah the english males are supposedly the best of all the buds I have had any of mine talk yet but I think Im gonna keep one from an upcoming clutch and see if I can work with him enough to make him wanna talk to me :) It'll be easier if yo have only one so he'll bond to you instead of a mate....but you can try to just have just one fiddie I tried didnt work out too well did it? lol now I have 8 breeding budgies and 8 breeding parrotlets plus a sun that Im gonna breed with a red factor hopefully next year...mts & mfs I have both now...:hmm3grin2orange: but at least i have a hobbies I love:1luvu:

Rue
02-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Congrats! I think you might be happier with a budgie than a Quaker!

One thing...get him/her a larger cage. Anything sold as a starter or deluxe budgie cage isn't ideal. I'd go one step up from those and get a small parrot cage. Just watch that the bar spacing is adequate...not too wide apart.

lovleeko
02-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Congrats! I think you might be happier with a budgie than a Quaker!

One thing...get him/her a larger cage. Anything sold as a starter or deluxe budgie cage isn't ideal. I'd go one step up from those and get a small parrot cage. Just watch that the bar spacing is adequate...not too wide apart.

Thanks rue. I have a three foot or four foot cage one of the two. IT's going to be a palace for a budgie thumbs2: It's perfect for keets because the spacing on the bars are really close together.

Rue
02-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Excellent! Looking forward to pics!

Have a name picked out yet?

lovleeko
02-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Excellent! Looking forward to pics!

Have a name picked out yet?

Pics will be posted tonight thumbs2:

No not yet. I was thinking of going with something in the zodiac. LOL

Northernguy
02-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Birds are fun pets but you have to work with them!
I am loooking forward to some pics!:22:

lovleeko
02-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Birds are fun pets but you have to work with them!
I am loooking forward to some pics!:22:

I know I'm excited. I'm lucky to have found some hand fed ones. It seems there aren't too many people handfeeding budgies anymore.

Fishguy2727
02-12-2009, 09:00 PM
If I remember right the English (larger) type only lives about half as long, so six to seven years is good for them.

They are very socail so you will have to spend tons of time with it. If you can't do this I would get it a friend.

Overall the care is pretty much the same as the quaker. Give them toys, stuff to chew up, space, etc. and it will do well. That Parrots for Dummies book will still help a lot.