PDA

View Full Version : Pic of my beautiful algae



Lady Hobbs
02-11-2009, 02:45 PM
I just killed this algae off two weeks ago with peroxide. And here we "grow" again. My vals are taking a beating from this stuff.

Rue
02-11-2009, 03:11 PM
I think I have the same stuff in my tank at the moment...

PUNISHER VETTE
02-11-2009, 03:31 PM
I don't think you want to get into an algae contest with me.

Although it may be a good contest....

Deleted User
02-11-2009, 03:44 PM
I think that is hair algae. I have had trouble with that on my onion plants.

It is a hard algae to get rid of so I have heard.

Sir Tristen
02-11-2009, 03:52 PM
My sympathies. I too, struggle from the nasty stuff.

fins_n_fur
02-11-2009, 04:13 PM
It's very pretty :hmm3grin2orange: I'm sooooo tired of seeing that stuff in my tank. It's been nearly a week with the rooibos tea experiment and I just, just might be seeing a difference today. It could also be wishful thinking :scry: .

Rue
02-11-2009, 04:15 PM
OOOOh! Wouldn't that be nice if it did!

I just happen to have a bunch of roosibos tea in the cupboard! thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
02-11-2009, 05:02 PM
It's BBA, I believe. This fuzz will all be black before long and a bear to kill. I am trying sooooo hard not to get Excel but am getting weaker by the day.

labnjab
02-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Hopefully you get rid of it, algae sucks. I've been battling green hair algae in one corner of my reef for a couple of months. I pull it off and a week later its back. I'll be getting some phosphate pads so I hope I can get rid of it.

Fishalicious
02-11-2009, 08:01 PM
In extreme measures get a Oxydator and buy some hydrogen peroxide 30 % for bad cases and 3% for less bad cases. Let it do it's thing in the aquarium for a week - the fish don't mind but do get a bit hyper.

BBA also loves oxyginated tank so switch off the bubbler for a while and make sure there is not too much water movement at the top from the filter.

Dave66
02-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Hopefully you get rid of it, algae sucks. I've been battling green hair algae in one corner of my reef for a couple of months. I pull it off and a week later its back. I'll be getting some phosphate pads so I hope I can get rid of it.

labnjab,
It's because you are manually pulling off the algae that it returns so quickly. Hair algae has spores at its base, so when you pull at it, you rupture the spores, and the algae is reborn.

Limiting Phosphate to NSW levels will help, but it will take some time for the algae to diminish and eventually perish; weeks to months.

Dave

Dave66
02-11-2009, 08:33 PM
It's BBA, I believe. This fuzz will all be black before long and a bear to kill. I am trying sooooo hard not to get Excel but am getting weaker by the day.

Half-doses daily, Hobbsy. Don't want to nuke the fishes with full doses, since your tank isn't thickly planted and lush. You do have plain ole sand in as substrate, right? That's part of your problem, since the plants can't grow strongly enough in it to use up the available nutrients in the water, and those tablets don't pay the piper. No excess nutrients = no algae. Rich planted tank substrate = rich plant growth = not enough excess nutrients for algae to get a toehold.

Dave

C-Dub
02-11-2009, 10:14 PM
I have been reading and reading, and just when I think I know all there is to know about algae I read some more.... And yet, still present in my tank as well. Errr just reading everyones posts is reminding me how frustrated I am. I may break down and hire someone to help me out (which I NEVER do with ANYTHING), lol

Fishalicious
02-11-2009, 10:34 PM
You do have plain ole sand in as substrate, right? That's part of your problem, since the plants can't grow strongly enough in it to use up the available nutrients in the water, and those tablets don't pay the piper. No excess nutrients = no algae. Rich planted tank substrate = rich plant growth = not enough excess nutrients for algae to get a toehold.

Dave

I have just filter sand in my tanks also with no special plant substrate at all...the only time I have ever had bad algae in a tank was when I did put in a specialist plant substrate under the sand :hmm3grin2orange:

tim k
02-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Are you sure you have enough plants in your tank to warrant using CO2 and high lighting?

Tim K

troy
02-12-2009, 01:04 AM
I'm dealing with some hair algae right now.

lobsternoob
02-12-2009, 01:21 AM
God i hate that stuff. Best of luck to you getting rid of it. I had a val in my tank that i ditched recently because it had hair algea on it so bad it was almost as long as the leaves of the plant!!! Funnily enough it was the only plant in the tank developing algae on it. Now the algae has decided to grow on the tank sides and I'm having to clean it daily to keep the tank looking decent. Helps a lot that there is nowhere in my room that doesnt get some direct sunlight daily... Too many windows/french doors!

Friendly
02-12-2009, 02:33 AM
I too have hair algae (I think), and it grows on the back of my tank. It almost looks like a Java Moss wall, only unsightlier. I need to hire a pleco for this.

Lady Hobbs
02-12-2009, 03:30 AM
In extreme measures get a Oxydator and buy some hydrogen peroxide 30 % for bad cases and 3% for less bad cases. Let it do it's thing in the aquarium for a week - the fish don't mind but do get a bit hyper.

BBA also loves oxyginated tank so switch off the bubbler for a while and make sure there is not too much water movement at the top from the filter.

I've been running CO2 so been using the bubbler only at night and setting it away from the vals that seem to be the one plant that's giving me the most problem with BBA. I'm sure you're spot on with the water flow, tho, as it's only the tops of my plants nearer the surface that gives me the most problems. Not all, but most.

I used peroxide a couple weeks ago but should have backed it up with another treatment or two. Never heard of an oxydator! What else can they sell, huh? Dandy idea if I can find such a thing here. I used 3% peroxide but only used 2 oz, too, for a 55 gallon. I was a bit nervous about how much I could use safety.
I did read you should shut your tank lights off as it doesn't last long with the lights on but I was also unsure of that and also unsure if I should do a water change after treatment.......so I didn't. I just poured the peroxide in the tank nearest to where my worse areas were. I do think a couple more treatments should have been carried through because I sure got a lot of bubbling up with the one.

Lady Hobbs
02-12-2009, 03:32 AM
Half-doses daily, Hobbsy. Don't want to nuke the fishes with full doses, since your tank isn't thickly planted and lush. You do have plain ole sand in as substrate, right? That's part of your problem, since the plants can't grow strongly enough in it to use up the available nutrients in the water, and those tablets don't pay the piper. No excess nutrients = no algae. Rich planted tank substrate = rich plant growth = not enough excess nutrients for algae to get a toehold.

Dave

Thank You Dave. Looks like I've have to take a hammer to my piggy bank and break down and get some Excel.

Rue
02-12-2009, 05:46 PM
I also have some in the goldfish tank...

I need to redecorate in there...bought new plastic plants (can't clean the old ones anymore - they're too gross)...have some Elodea in there that seems to be surviving if not thriving...and I'm re-soaking the driftwood I bought from last year...will add that in...

Not sure if it's hair algae though...seems a bit slimier...