PDA

View Full Version : Snail ID Please

labnjab
02-11-2009, 12:30 PM
A friend gave us 5 or 6 of these snails and he says they were actively breeding in his tank, but I can't think of what they are and he couldn't remember the name either
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f370/jabsgirlforever/100_0289.jpg

They tend to stick to the glass and rock grazing on algae (a lot of times just below the surface and sometimes half under and half above water), but not the sand. I thought they were Nassarius snails, but they don't sand sift and I also read they were next to impossible to breed in an aquarium (plus after a 2nd look the shell isn't the same. As of now I have 2 species of snails that were breeding in someone else's tank. This unidentified one, and 7 or 8 turbo snail (not a mexican). Hopefully in a few months they will breed in ours and we can spread them to other members through the local propagation program. Thank you for the ID

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-11-2009, 01:40 PM
The shell shape is consistant with that of a Conch shell. Fighting Conchs under .75 inches will frequently climb aquarium walls.

labnjab
02-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Thank you ILMGB.

coachfraley
02-11-2009, 04:11 PM
ILMGB is right again, it is a conch. They are being sold around here as a "nano conch". They breed and grow pretty quickly, but they stay small...less than .5" I have 2 right now, but I am hoping for more!

Northernguy
02-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Thats a nice looking snail.I have never seen a conch snail in a tank before!:22:

labnjab
02-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Thank you, I didn't know a conch was tank size till I made this post, lol. When I think of conch I think those giant ones on the beach, lol. I'm hoping they will breed, as well as the turbos (the turbos still have a year or so, but I know the conchs were breeding in the 125 I got them from) Does anyone know what their eggs look like?

coachfraley
02-11-2009, 08:37 PM
I have seen pics of them in other people's tanks. They are small transparent disks with little white specs in them. The little specs are the eggs, which eventually pop out.

I have not seen any eggs in my tank yet, but something that is really strange...I was given one nano conch, and another full grown one appeared about a month later!!???

labnjab
02-11-2009, 08:51 PM
Maybe it was hiding in the sand. I've had different snails, and star fish and limpets and other creatures all show up several weeks after starting the tank, and I still find new creatures even now, lol. It the best part of this hobby, finding something new