PDA

View Full Version : Have you noticed

jlennon
02-09-2007, 02:40 AM
My oscar fish tends to change color. I know she is a captive breed golden red tiger oscar from what i have read on the internet, books and what i have been told at a couple knowledgable pet stores. When i first got her the trip home was a little hard on her and she turned almost yellow. Then as she got used to her enviroment she turned into a golden color. Reminded me of a big gold fish you don't want to put your hand in the same tank with. But i have noticed her color changes depending on her mood. Can anyone else say the same? I have been feeding her live feeders as well as solid foods since i got her. I give her pellits in the morning and a couple rosie reds in the evening. (8hours later) Some time i switch up and giver her beefhearts instead of live feeders in the evening. Should i stick with one food type? I have not noticed any change in her tame nature other then trying to jump out. And of course not doing well with tankmates. I have also read that you should not feed cichlids land food. Would this include Beefheart? Or what does that mean? Food off my plate? And does anyone know how to introduce a new tankmate after the oscar has already claimed their tank? would you have to start a new tank altogether? Thanx for your time guys.

Fishguy2727
02-09-2007, 02:46 AM
Absolute best diet would be just New Life Spectrum pellets. Read the testimonials here (http://nlpublish.com/testimonials/index.cfm?product_name=New%20Life%20Spectrum%20Pre mium%20Fish%20Food&blnFoodPage=TRUE). These are the results actual people are getting with this food. This is not just hype, this food is really that good.

jlennon
02-09-2007, 02:53 AM
I have been feeding her Hikari pellets but i just switched up to a larger pellet which she has not taken to. she loves the small ones but she always leaves the large ones. I also just tried breaking them up and she seemed to eat most of what i put in there. I will try you recomendaion though thank you. I think i will keep some feeders around though. My other tank looks empty with just two plecos in it.

Severus
02-09-2007, 03:41 AM
Just be careful with the feeders. You are running a big risk of introducing disease into your tank.

jlennon
02-09-2007, 03:50 AM
I found this out already. I have been to 12 stores in my area and only one of which i have not gotten ick from. although the last time went ther i did bring an infected rosie home that infected my feeder tank. It took my about 4 weeks to clean up but out of about 150 fish i only had to get ride of 10. I still have most of them and have been feeding my oscar from a seperate smaller tank. I even took precataions with my oscar and plecos. Let me tell you they were some unhappy fish for a couple of weeks. But all is well on that front. So far.

cocoa_pleco
02-09-2007, 04:55 AM
I dont like feeding feeders 2 fish

jlennon
02-09-2007, 05:39 PM
It is really hard not to give my fish feeders. She is really fun to watch eat them. Not to mention it is only natural for a preditor to want to prey on something. i would not mind a tame fish but i think that has to do with its personality as well. That is why i like to give her a mix of food which she seems to like.

Fishguy2727
02-10-2007, 01:45 AM
If you like to watch your fish at all that is reason enough to stop feeding live. It is just too riskly as far as introducing parasites and diseases go. Trust me, you will have a beautiful oscar if you feed only New Life Spectrum. I got one that put on abotu 2" in one and a half months and colored up amazingly before I sold it at my work (5 minutes after it was in the tank) to do Africans in the 75 instead of the oscar. It is neat to watch them eat live, but it just does more harm than good long term and you will have an even more beautiful fish if you do just NLS.

jlennon
02-10-2007, 11:51 PM
I went to the local pet store and they had not clue what NLS was. I have considered what you have said about live food and think i will be moving my Ollie Oscar to a 55gallon if not a 75. But before i do that i have to treat her sores from trying to jump out of the tank. The pet store had Malafix and i have been doing a lot of reading of parasites and she is OK from what i can see there. My plecos will be happy to have a bigger tank soon and the feeders will be happy they are no longer food. I need to get a house ASAP. i never thought that keeping a couple fish would turn out to be so interesting and satisfying. Thanx for all your help.

cocoa_pleco
02-11-2007, 03:25 AM
if you want to feed feeders, breed the feeders yourself in a 33g or 55g so you can choose the healthy ones for feeding