PDA

View Full Version : Pleco food...

10lbBass
02-11-2009, 02:05 AM
I hear that the pleco likes to eat some cucumber. Is this true, and if so how much cucumber?

toddnbecka
02-11-2009, 04:43 AM
It depends on the species of pleco, but some do like cucumber. Zucchini is actually preferred, but they'll also eat blanched green beans, peas, yams or sweet potatoes, etc. Feed whatever you think the fish will eat in a 24 hour period, then remove the leftovers before they pollute the water. It may take several times for them to realize it's edible, but they usually catch on pretty well. You can rubber-band the food to a small rock to keep it from floating. or use lead plant weights if you have some handy.

fraggle
02-11-2009, 08:49 AM
I use cucumber for my plecs, and zucchini and lettuce and peas and beans and apple and celery and....lots and lots of stuff, LOL

For the cucumber or zucchini I just cut a chunk about about 10cm off, cut it in half lenghtways and scoop out the seeds (just cause they make a mess, LOL) My plecs love it! So do the clown loaches and the bala sharks and the silver dollars and even the tetras zip in and pick at it, so does my tandanus and my oscar.

I usually put it in about tea time and take it out in the morning ,that way it gives the daytime fish time to grab some before the lights go out and lets the plecos get it at night, leave it in over night as that's when they feed more.

10lbBass
02-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Thanks ya'll!