PDA

View Full Version : Yes, another Lake Malawi tank: open water

Fishguy2727
02-09-2007, 01:35 AM
I decided to do the 75 as an open water haps tank. As of now it includes one of each of the following: compressiceps, polystigma, venustus, electric blue ahli. Of course I use Cichlid Lake Salt by Seachem and Proper pH 8.2 by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc. Same filtration, a few PVC pipe T-connectors of varying diameters, and only New Life Spectrum food.

jeffs99dime
02-09-2007, 01:36 AM
cool. how is the new life spectrum food?

Fishguy2727
02-09-2007, 01:57 AM
Good enough to be the only thing my discus, peacocks, mbunas, and haps get. Check out the testimonials on their website here (http://nlpublish.com/testimonials/index.cfm?product_name=New%20Life%20Spectrum%20Pre mium%20Fish%20Food&blnFoodPage=TRUE) to see the results people are actually getting. It is not just hype, it actually works. I plan on only using NLS on my nano saltwater tank.

Pics are up on my PhotoBucket page.

KneeKickLou
02-09-2007, 01:32 PM
I am just starting my first cichlid tank and was looking for a good buffer combination. My tap Ph is around 7.6-7.7. Would this combination be good for me? I've also heard of using Baking Soda, Epsoms Salt and marine salt to mix up a buffer has you used this before? What do you recommend?

Fishguy2727
02-09-2007, 02:16 PM
I highly recommend the Proper pH, it takes the pH from either direction right to 8.2, and holds it there at least long enough to do weekly water changes at which point you add more. The homemade stuff is too variable and probably unstable considering there is stuff out there that does a perfect job. It's not like it is that expensive. The Proper pH 8.2 along with Seachem's Cichlid Lake Salt should be the best way to truly simulate the natural chemistry of their home lake water conditions, something vital for them to truly thrive in captivity. I would also highly recommend New Life Spectrum as the only food, it will also make a huge difference in their ability to thrive.

KneeKickLou
02-09-2007, 02:23 PM
OK thanks I think I'll go that route. My next question is about water changes I recently got myself a python and it is amazing I am currently with my other freshwater tanks just treating the water as I add it but will I be able to do this with the salt and PH buffer or will I have to premix the water then add it?? I dont mind doing this but its just a lot eaiser to fill right from the sink.

f1oored
02-09-2007, 02:43 PM
I fill a small bowl with water an then mix in the salt, buffers, and water treatment (enough for however much water you are going to add). Then I add a little of the mixture as I fill the tank so it remains pretty even throught the water change process.

Fishguy2727
02-09-2007, 03:00 PM
I don't need dechlorinator and I just add the buffer and salt where the water will be coming into the tank when I start adding the water so it dissolves as it is filled.

KneeKickLou
02-09-2007, 03:01 PM
I fill a small bowl with water an then mix in the salt, buffers, and water treatment (enough for however much water you are going to add). Then I add a little of the mixture as I fill the tank so it remains pretty even throught the water change process.
WOW that is so simple yet like the best idea I've ever heard I feel really stupid for not thinking of that. Thanks f1oored.