PDA

View Full Version : Critique these shots of flowers

fins_n_fur
02-10-2009, 03:34 PM
I have been trying to teach myself how to use my new camera and thought would try some flowers (a bit old), instead of fish as you must be getting bored with my fish pictures :hmm3grin2orange: . What are your honest comments and feedback?

Number 1

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/794/medium/Flower06.jpg

Number 2

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/794/medium/Flower01.jpg

Thanks!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-10-2009, 03:39 PM
I'd say your first picture is the better of the 2. The second picture is a bit dark and your subject is off center.
What camera do you have? What settings did you use? (ISO, F number, shutter speed)

Looking good though fins.

Rue
02-10-2009, 03:45 PM
I find both a tad dark. But they are nice and crisp!

Lady Hobbs
02-10-2009, 03:49 PM
If only the second picture was posted, I'd say awesome. But the first picture takes the prize. I like the darker background before it makes the subject of the photo pop out.

I guess you know that would take 300 shots with my camera and 40 batteries.

fins_n_fur
02-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Both were shot with a Canon 450D. Photo details below (I think...I exported the photos and renamed them when I uploaded to the forum gallery LOL), but I think the numbers are accurate.

Photo 1
Lens Canon EF-S 55-250 mm, f4.5, 1/40, ISO 800

Photo 2
Lens Canon EF-S 60mm Macro, f2.8, 1/80, ISO 800
Also, it's a high probably arty failure :hmm3grin2orange: Off-center was on purpose

Deleted User
02-10-2009, 03:51 PM
First one could be just a little ligher. It is sharp and well in focus though. Great depth of feild too. :thumb:

Second pic is way too dark. :ssmile:

fins_n_fur
02-10-2009, 03:58 PM
If only the second picture was posted, I'd say awesome. But the first picture takes the prize. I like the darker background before it makes the subject of the photo pop out.

I guess you know that would take 300 shots with my camera and 40 batteries.
Nuts! I spent all that time setting up a tripod, trying to get the light as best as I could as I didn't want to use the built-in flash as it's too harsh, and was so wrapped up in looking at each shot afterwards with the settings that I used that I forgot the black background paper. Maybe tomorrow if the flowers haven't totally wilted LOL.

William
02-10-2009, 04:07 PM
I actually preferthe second. it has more of an artistic quality allthough the bckgroud is a little outf focus.

If you only want to focus on the flowers however the first on is better.

Jellygirl
02-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Hi there,
Great photos for starters. I guess the more you use your camera and try experimenting the better the photo. It does take a while to get used to new equipment. Try same subject matter with different settings and see for yourself.

I love the first picture - personally and it is just my own opinion, when photographing flowers odd numbers look best. Both pictures have a crispness and a lovely contrast with the darker out of focus background.

Keep experimenting and posting. I got a new camera last year after years of my old one and I am still getting use to that too. Digital great news for the photographer eh:hmm3grin2orange:

Jellygirl

sandy_n
02-10-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm leaning toward the first one also. Both are nice though. :ssmile:

dmagerl
02-10-2009, 06:46 PM
I like #1 but both are dark on my monitor.

When shooting white subjects like that, you have to dial in some exposure compensation, I'd start with +1 ev.

-dickm

Northernguy
02-10-2009, 09:24 PM
First one could be just a little ligher. It is sharp and well in focus though. Great depth of feild too. :thumb:

Second pic is way too dark. :ssmile:

:22: I agree with what she said!thumbs2:

fins_n_fur
02-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all of your feedback...much appreciated everyone! Did some more reading last night and this morning...final version (and yes, sadly had to bin the flowers) Perhaps a bit too light? Or just right? I don't know. Macro 60mm f2.8 macro lens, f/14, ISO 100, 1.0s

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/794/medium/FinalFlower.jpg

Edit: Here's a bit darker--gotta trust my eyes instead of the software:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/794/medium/FinalFlower02.jpg

invadertoast
02-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I like the first one the best out of all three, it's well balanced and the flowers look really crisp. Flowers are a fun subject! I don't know anything technical about cameras, but if you're using macro why not get right in there super close to the flower? I took a bazillion close-up pictures of flowers this summer with my point-and-shoot Canon and got some really interesting shots that way. Now I have a dozen or so framed flower pictures on my walls, lol

Rue
02-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Hmm...a bit too much light this time...but just barely.

Light is hardest thing to get a handle on...the main reason I don't take photos...

fins_n_fur
02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Posted a darker one underneath the first (final) one. The first final one is indeed too light.

I didn't get super close to the flower as I wanted more in the frame. May pick up some single flowers tomorrow or Friday to play around some more.

Rue
02-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Yes, 2nd one is better...

invadertoast
02-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Second one is much better, the first one looks washed out compared to it

Deleted User
02-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Ok the second pic is a little better. But you have to watch where your flash is going to hit. You have got the middle and one on the left well lit. But the one on the right is in shadow. You have to try and not only centralise " frame " your shots. But also watch what is going on with your lighting. White is a very hard colour to get a decent pic of, so is red and so is yellow just so your aware. :ssmile:

fins_n_fur
02-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks...I'll look for flowers on Friday that aren't yellow, red, or white...I didn't realise until yesterday when Brookfish told me that white was the hardest to shoot. The right flower is not as well lit as I didn't use a flash for the shot, but only the light from the (left of frame) window and the overhead light from a chandelier. I see I have plenty of work to do still on setting and framing. Also, I think I'm taking way too many shots at one go and getting confused on settings.

Deleted User
02-11-2009, 07:05 PM
You could be right on the confusion. It is very hard at first not to get ahead of yourself. :ssmile:

dmagerl
02-11-2009, 07:16 PM
I think you'll find that red is the toughest color to expose properly. Canon cameras always seem to blow out the red channel. I usually have to dial down the exposure and then keep a close eye on the red channel histogram.

I like the second picture of your second attempt best. You aught to try pictures of poppies. Oy! Talk about tough to expose..

The problem with white is that the camera wants to expose for an "average" scene. So it takes what should be a nice white object and exposes it as grey instead of white. Snowy scenes are also tough to expose and almost always requuire some added exposure.

-dickm

fins_n_fur
02-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I'll forget about red for a long time :hmm3grin2orange: You mentioned the exposure point before as well. Will have to go do more research and do some more practice. Thanks for your feedback!

Jellygirl
02-11-2009, 07:42 PM
The photos are lovely and you have all the time in the world to get used to camera and settings.

I have photographed a few flowers - i'm not very technical - I just do it for a bit of fun and this new digital thing is totally new to me. Great hobby especially when you can extend it to taking shots of fishthumbs2: thumbs2:

I look forward to seeing more of your flower photographs.

Jellygirl

Mith
04-14-2009, 11:04 AM
I think I'll cast my vote for #1, reason being the flowers are bigger and easier to see.

Only critisism is I favor a little more light. Both excellent pictures though!