PDA

View Full Version : if i continually add amonia

Mith
02-09-2009, 11:57 PM
How will my nitrItes go away? Don't nitrItes eat the amonia? My NitrIte readings are still maxed out
!

doug z
02-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Where are you in your cycle?

First the ammonia spikes, then the nitrates, then the nitrates (and you should have zero ammonia and nitrites at this point)..

kaybee
02-10-2009, 12:03 AM
...Don't nitrItes eat the amonia?

Ammonia is converted into nitrite.

Mith
02-10-2009, 12:19 AM
If I leave the tank overnight after having brought UP the amonia to roughly 3ppm... the next day the amonia's GONE. BUT, I still have TONS if nitrItes AND nitrAtes.

I'm wondering, if I want the nitrItes to go away, why do I keep adding amonia???

Alfcea
02-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Exactly the same thing that happens with ammonia (you add it, then it goes away) will eventually happen with the nitrites. Once all the nitrites are very readily consumed and transformed into nitrates immediately, then you are fully cycled. If you add fish now, they will still die (not from ammonia poisoning but from nitrite poisoning!). It sounds like you are almost there, though....

Just as a side note, nitrites are, all things being equal, more toxic than ammonia...

Mith
02-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Exactly the same thing that happens with ammonia (you add it, then it goes away) will eventually happen with the nitrites. Once all the nitrites are very readily consumed and transformed into nitrates immediately, then you are fully cycled. If you add fish now, they will still die (not from ammonia poisoning but from nitrite poisoning!). It sounds like you are almost there, though....

Just as a side note, nitrites are, all things being equal, more toxic than ammonia...

OK... I won't add anything until my tank's ready. After all this work, I'm not going to blow it... LOL.

Now... once my tank is cycled, can I keep it cycled for any length of time without fish? I'll have to order the fish and I may need to keep the tank cycled say, for a week?

Alfcea
02-10-2009, 01:05 AM
You should keep adding your ammonia, though! If you don't, then the ammonia eating bacteria will die off and all your hard work will be lost! Keep adding a bit of ammonia every day (enough to get it to 2 or 3 ppm) until the nitrites go down to zero overnight. Then you will be finished! And after a large water change, you could add your fish safely... bit of patience, Mith! Almost there!

Gemini
02-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Mith you keep adding it to feed the bacteria. Fish produce ammonia all the time. That's why you keep adding it during a fishless cycle. So the bacteria has something to eat.
Keep adding it until your reading 0 nitrities. Then keep doing what you have been doing to keep your cycle until you have fishies.

Mith
02-10-2009, 01:23 AM
People say only add drops at a time....but I gotta tell ya, with a 125 gallon tank, its not drops but cap fulls!! In two weeks id say I've added a total of one cup of pure amonia and it actually takes that much to get the water level to 4-5 ppm!

Gemini
02-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Hahaha yeah but most people don't get to start out with a nice BIG 125G!! Most people start with like a 10G.

Mith
02-10-2009, 01:41 AM
Well then, when they're all growed up and work for a living, then and only then can they get a big tank too! LOL. Until that day comes, they'll enjoy their goldfish bowl and shut the heck up .... hehe

Mith
02-10-2009, 02:21 PM
welp, again last night i added more amonia...brought the tank back up to 3-4ppm. Well, its only been a few hours and ALL the amonia's already gone. Sure wish my nitrites would peak and drop! I've got 40ppm nitrAtes and roughly 1-2ppm nitrItes. I think my tank is defective anfd my nitrItes will never peak.

I'm doomed....doomed to a nitrIte hell....for...evahhhhhh!!!

korith
02-10-2009, 02:32 PM
welp, again last night i added more amonia...brought the tank back up to 3-4ppm. Well, its only been a few hours and ALL the amonia's already gone. Sure wish my nitrites would peak and drop! I've got 40ppm nitrAtes and roughly 1-2ppm nitrItes. I think my tank is defective anfd my nitrItes will never peak.

I'm doomed....doomed to a nitrIte hell....for...evahhhhhh!!!

patience grasshoppa!

Should have cheated like me, and just gotten used filter media from an existing tank:hmm3grin2orange:

Sharon
02-10-2009, 02:34 PM
You're really amost done, Mith...I'd say just a few more days...keep adding the Ammonia!:ssmile:

Mith
02-10-2009, 02:41 PM
patience grasshoppa!

Should have cheated like me, and just gotten used filter media from an existing tank:hmm3grin2orange:

(said in the voice of charlton heston)

Edited by Hobbs you bad boy.

Dont blame me Miss Hobbs.....it's Chucks fault!!!! LOL

Lady Hobbs
02-10-2009, 02:42 PM
If your tank is done cycling and you have not bought fish yet, you add several drops of ammonia to keep your tank going until you can add your fish. Like, the tank is ready but the fish store has not ordered your fish.

If your tank has not finished cycling, you continue to add enough ammonia daily to register 2-3 until the nitrites are gone.

This may be where the "drops" confused you.

The nitrites will stay high for a couple weeks sometimes. It is not unusual for nitrites, after that time, to need a kick-start to get them moving. Sometimes a "burn out" occurs from too much ammonia and doing a water change will get things moving again. But that is only after those nitrites just plain refuse to move and it's been a couple weeks of doing nothing.

Add ammonia ONE time per day and only add enough to bring to 2-3.

Mith
02-10-2009, 02:53 PM
If your tank is done cycling and you have not bought fish yet, you add several drops of ammonia to keep your tank going until you can add your fish. Like, the tank is ready but the fish store has not ordered your fish.

If your tank has not finished cycling, you continue to add enough ammonia daily to register 2-3 until the nitrites are gone.

This may be where the "drops" confused you.

The nitrites will stay high for a couple weeks sometimes. It is not unusual for nitrites, after that time, to need a kick-start to get them moving. Sometimes a "burn out" occurs from too much ammonia and doing a water change will get things moving again. But that is only after those nitrites just plain refuse to move and it's been a couple weeks of doing nothing.

Add ammonia ONE time per day and only add enough to bring to 2-3.

It has been written, so let it be done! :)

Lady Hobbs
02-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Mith, I checked back to the day you posted your ammonia was gone.

It has only been three days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calm down.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Cycling thread says:

Your nitrite eating bacteria (Nitrobactor) is a slower growing bacteria and this is when your patience will be tried. Your nitrites may remain almost the same without moving for a week to 10 days…..and in some situations, even longer. But do not despair because one day you will see your nitrites are also dropping and will then drop suddenly to 0.

I moved this to the cycling forum. Please don't make me come over there!!!!!! :scry:

Mith
02-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Mith, I checked back to the day you posted your ammonia was gone.

It has only been three days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calm down.

Cycling thread says:

Your nitrite eating bacteria (Nitrobactor) is a slower growing bacteria and this is when your patience will be tried. Your nitrites may remain almost the same without moving for a week to 10 days…..and in some situations, even longer. But do not despair because one day you will see your nitrites are also dropping and will then drop suddenly to 0.

I moved this to the cycling forum. Please don't make me come over there!!!!!! :scry:

I've been bad Miss Hobbs (Mith hands Miss Hobbs the wooden paddle)

Do what you gotta do my Love.....you always hurt the one you love...

Lady Hobbs
02-10-2009, 04:43 PM
To answer your question........Don't nitrItes eat the amonia? ......no. It's two different bacteria's that need to grow and the nitrite eating bacteria takes longer.

The ammonia is transformed into nitrite by Nitrosomonas and the nitrite into nitrate by Nitrobacter and/or Nitrospira.

Sharon
02-10-2009, 04:58 PM
[B]Please don't make me come over there!!!!!

Mith
02-10-2009, 08:25 PM
To answer your question........Don't nitrItes eat the amonia? ......no. It's two different bacteria's that need to grow and the nitrite eating bacteria takes longer.

The ammonia is transformed into nitrite by Nitrosomonas and the nitrite into nitrate by Nitrobacter and/or Nitrospira.

Okidokey, thanks.

Mith
02-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Hahaha yeah but most people don't get to start out with a nice BIG 125G!! Most people start with like a 10G.

Well, I hope that darn thing cycles before I run out of amonia... LOL

fraggle
02-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Good on ya Mith, you're a dag mate, LOL.

Maybe you better stock up on more ammonia, :22: , LOL, I can't even get ammonia here in Oz, so I'm sure glad I'm going to have used filter material to cycle any other tanks I get! (I didnt' even know about fishless cycling when I got my first tanks, just got told to set up the tank with water etc and let it sit for a month before adding any fish, which I did. Had no fish die, but I certainly wouldn't like to try it again!)

This is going to be one AWESOME tank when you get your fish, we need LOTS of pics:hmm3grin2orange:

Gemini
02-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Breathe, breathe, breathe, your tank will cycle, your tank will cycle, your tank will cycle....
Go buy more ammonia, it will keep you from playing with the tank :fish2: hehehehehe