PDA

View Full Version : My Gouramis

*Sarah*
02-08-2007, 10:26 PM
I bought a pair of them, female and male. The Female seems happy to swim about and be active, but the male almost always stays hidden. Is this common? Would getting more of the same fish encourage him to come out? It's a community tank, with Platys, mollies, guppies, neons (I realize that they aren't a good combo...) and the 2 gouramis. I really want him to come out, because he is the prettiest fish in the tank. Thanks!

cocoa_pleco
02-08-2007, 10:32 PM
With scared fish, you want to provide lots of hiding places, and they will come out more. They know that they can easily hide if they get scared, so it encourages them.

Also, you can try getting a few fish that are always out, and the gourami will sometimes come out too, because they see the other fish out and know its safe. This plan worked with my lamp. brichardi. He used to stay in his little pagoda ornament, but now hes always out and shreddin up crickets

Betta_noob
02-09-2007, 04:15 PM
When you say more of the same fish do you mean gouramis?
If so generally it is not a good idea to put more than one male gourami in a tank. And if you do put another gourami in there it should only be a mated pair.
I think there will be much undesired agression should you add more gouramis.

*Sarah*
02-09-2007, 04:55 PM
When you say more of the same fish do you mean gouramis?
If so generally it is not a good idea to put more than one male gourami in a tank. And if you do put another gourami in there it should only be a mated pair.
I think there will be much undesired agression should you add more gouramis.

Oh, ok. I didn't realize that Gourami's were aggressive. I always thought they were good community fish. I do have lots of fish that love to swim around all the time, Mollies, Platys..etc, but that Gourami guy kinda just stays hidden. Occasionally he'll come out for feeding time, but that's about it. I do have a Female for the Male that's in there right now.