PDA

View Full Version : Another failed attempt at female betta tank :(

lovleeko
02-09-2009, 09:43 PM
WEll as the title says, this is the last time I'll try it until I get my satin flames and raise them from babies. I did everything right. By the time I got done taking out the ladies who were doing all the shredding their was only two left and we know what happens to just two of them. Left one little lady in her happy home and will move on from the idea for a while. Gosh, it really sucks though. They were so beautiful in there. Your lucky sharon :)

Sharon
02-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Oh dear! Are you sure it can't work? Let me tell you what I have done...10 gal. tank. Dense silk plants, and some live plants but not necessary. Add all at once. Heater set at 80 degrees, and a filter. Add all fish at once. There will be some nipping and slight damage as they establish their pecking order. Then it should be OK...

If you want to try again, you could rearrange the tank drastically, with LOTS of hiding places created by plants. You could actually put too many plants at first, and remove when they've gotten adjusted. If you feel that you have some really aggressive females, you could add the less aggressive first, and then add the more aggressive in a couple of days, although I've never done it that way, and it may not work. Don't worry about the minor damage that you may get at the beginning. They heal very quickly. I recently added two more, making seven, and although the others did react badly for an hour or so, they are all getting along now. I'm actually down to six now, as one jumped yesterday...

I'm really sorry you've become discouraged with it, as it sounds like you did like the tank. Can't hurt to try again....:ssmile:

lovleeko
02-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Sharon. You idea about the less aggressive having a chance to stay in there a while first might not be a bad idea. This was no minor damage. I bit my nails off trying hard to let it run its course. I was in their with a net having to break up all out war. Not nipping, shredding. One of my females tails was more shredded than I could have imagined. I put her in a iso tank with some betta fix. she looks incredibly better today. I know their fins grow back fast but the betta fix is truly a miracle worker. WOW. I have a few females that I think are just not gonna work. I am getting all live plants for the tank tommorow so it will look different. But I'm scared to :) I am down a couple of females too since some are just to aggressive and I hate to buy more and have it not work out. I have nine bettas at the moment. And I can't even find any females at the moment because petsmart bettas all have fin rot and my LFS has none at the moment. I hope they get some though becuase they recently started keeping theirs together so I can observe and pick the best most docile ladies. But I did everything you named. they were all added the same time and plenty of hiding places.

Sharon
02-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Oh well...maybe you just got a batch of really mean girls. Actually, I think the females are worse than the males...

ReptileLuver729
02-10-2009, 09:59 PM
I have a question for Sharon. I am also gonna start a female betta tank but I was wondering how to know the point at which they go from the pecking order thing to being just plain mean.

Sharon
02-10-2009, 10:13 PM
The way I see it is...there is some aggression to be expected. Some chasing, some nipping, resulting in some minor tail and fin damage. This will occur while they are establishing the pecking order. When they get sorted, they mostly get along...maybe with an argument every now and then. That is basically the situation with mine.
Lovleeko seems to have had girls who came close to killing each other...You will know if it's not working...if there is serious damage to tails and fins, if some fish are stressed and constantly hiding, if you have fish that are afraid to eat, if horizontal barring is present over extended periods indicating stress...

ReptileLuver729
02-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Will it be normal for them to flare their gills at each other when they first meet?

Sharon
02-10-2009, 10:46 PM
That would be normal, IMO. It wouldn't be good if they're still flaring two days later...

Northernguy
02-11-2009, 04:12 PM
I have never had any luck with female betas!
They are just plain mean fish. Great hunters though!
Kinda reminds me of the girls back in grade 5 or 6,they were heartless.:hmm3grin2orange:

lovleeko
02-11-2009, 06:43 PM
LOL NG! Your so funny. I'm scared to retry this stuff. Yeah Sharon they would have killed each other if I would have not been separating them. :( This is not my first or second attempt at this. Seems that you get lucky when it works. I think the younger they are the better. When I breed my satin flames I'll be able to raise them together and I wont have this problems. Just imagine my white bettas and satin flame females all in a tank together. :18:

Northernguy
02-12-2009, 12:17 AM
It sounds like a nice tank!
If you had some fry to start with you may stand a chance.A small chance.There will be aggression issues as they mature!
Sharons tank must be very heavily planted or shes a good teacher!

Sharon
02-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Yes, I go over the rules every morning! Here's my tank...not that heavy on the plants now, but when I first put them in there, I did have a lot...I tend to change it every month or so.