PDA

View Full Version : Do Angelfish eat cardinal tetras?

Zodiac007
02-09-2009, 12:47 AM
In a 50 gallon planted tank

10 harlequin rasboras
8 cardinal tetras
1 britle nose pleco
3 oto catfish

I need a centerpiece fish. I can't decide on either 1 opaline gourami or 1 or 2 angelfish.

I want to know if angelfish may eat a cardinal tetra or harlequin, or oto.

Thank you.

Also, are angelfishes aggressive to other fishes with long fins? such as a comet goldfish or betta?

William
02-09-2009, 12:51 AM
There is a real risk that the angel will eat the cardinals when it grow bigger.

Lady Hobbs
02-09-2009, 12:53 AM
True story. I had 5 that would kill neons and 4 that wouldn't. You just never know.

Cameron
02-09-2009, 01:29 AM
i agree, i was going to suggest some kind of gourami. Good luck.

troy
02-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Otos have spines so if the angelfish tries to eat one the oto will get stuck in the angelfish's mouth.

tanks4thememories
02-09-2009, 01:57 AM
We often forget Angels are Cichlids...lol

MrJim
02-09-2009, 02:17 AM

I didn't know that..strange fish family, from GBRs to Angels to those blood parrots, cichlids are a varied bunch..

Ryuu
02-09-2009, 02:17 AM

Lol, we do...

I think they eat anything they can fit in their mouth...

tanks4thememories
02-09-2009, 02:19 AM
Lol, we do...

I think they eat anything they can fit in their mouth...

yup cichlids are an aggressive family at the least..lol

Adrian
02-09-2009, 02:49 AM
I have found, and this is in my experience, if you have a school of cardinals in your tank BEFORE adding an angel or two, they generally will leave the cardinals alone. If you put cardinals into a tank AFTER the angels, they will be expensive fish food.

Also note: When purchasing your angels, make sure they are small. As they grow up, the will grow with the cardinals. Cardinals will reach a max length of 2 inches, which is a bit more than they can chew, per say. Neons only get to 1.5 inches in length, and a full grown angel can eat them.

Just my experience. I have cardinals in my tank, as well as 2 angels. They never experience any problems.

AABatteries
02-09-2009, 02:54 AM
I would get a blue or gold gourami. Mine are both beautiful, especially the gold. I'll try to get a picture of her for you. I'll probably end up getting both since they usually hang out together.

EDIT: Here one is from a while back with cardinals and buenos aries tetras also in the pic. It was blurred to start with and I tried to fix it up a bit. She looks even better in real life. Probably one of the few pics I have without the blue one being in it also.
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1773/goldgourami1qd5.jpg

tanks4thememories
02-09-2009, 04:25 AM
I have found, and this is in my experience, if you have a school of cardinals in your tank BEFORE adding an angel or two, they generally will leave the cardinals alone. If you put cardinals into a tank AFTER the angels, they will be expensive fish food.

Also note: When purchasing your angels, make sure they are small. As they grow up, the will grow with the cardinals. Cardinals will reach a max length of 2 inches, which is a bit more than they can chew, per say. Neons only get to 1.5 inches in length, and a full grown angel can eat them.

Just my experience. I have cardinals in my tank, as well as 2 angels. They never experience any problems.

Yes awesome example of bending the rules with environment and experience.
I use that technique with my predictors sometimes to get them to accept a weaker predatory fish into the tank.

klaalla
02-09-2009, 05:13 AM
i've read somewhere that angels eat tetras in the wild. but then again having them raised together couldn't hurt. it would definitely lower the risk of the angel being the boss and just eating anything it finds. if it works out for you tell me. i was considering doing the same, but i didn't want to risk it.

Lady Hobbs
02-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Some keep them together with no problem at all. The angels I had that did kill them didn't eat them. Just killed them.

NickFish
02-10-2009, 11:01 PM
My observations from keeping angels at my lfs-
It really, really, really, really depends on the angel.

Some will eat everything that fits in their mouths. Otos, cardinals, smaller tetras you name it. Other will kill everything simply because they can like poor Hobb's. Cichlids are not dissimiliar in behaviour to people (obviously it is a much simpler form though), you do get the occasional crazy one who's behaviour is not typical or explainable. On the other hand you also get the occasional one that keeps entirely to itself.

However, if your angel is like most it will probably be somewhat agressive. This agression usually starts as soon as the angel realises other fish run from it. I like to keep other cichlids like kribs and apistos, so usually the angel's agression is kept in check and not all fish will immediatly back down from it. Whether that helps or not is not proven but its what I do. And yes, some go as far as killing other fish. You can pretty much count on some form of agressive behaviour from angelfish, whether that goes as far as killing or eating others...your guess is as good as mine. It depends on the angel, although raising them in the same tank as the tetras from an early age is reported as having some effect on their behaviour towards tetras later on in life. Adding newer fish right into the tank the adult angel has never seen will possibly, although not always, result in the death of said fish. It is better to add them when the angel is under 3" or so.

Angels rarely get the chance to eat fish in the wild, but when they do it is usually juvenile tetras, rarely a full grown one. However they do occasionally eat an adult NEON tetra, but cardinals are slightly larger. Even if they go after it it is not like they can kill an entire school overnight. You will have time to seperate them or correct the behaviour if you need to.

Personally,
I absolutely love my wild-caught scalare angelfish. Probably one of my favourite fish. No gourami can compare to the personality it has, regardless of how colorful it is. It hasn't killed anything yet, in fact it hasn't even shown any agression yet although it is still only a few inches. I had another angel a while back that was mildly agressive but didn't eat or kill anything even though he was in a tank with neons, a natural food source. Sure he defended his territory and chased fish away from food but that is expected. Even with an adult angel, if you keep them well fed with plenty of protein in their diet they certainly won't decimate an entire school of tetras.

Heck, I really couldn't care less if I lose a tetra or two to my angel, I haven't yet but if it happens it happens. The price you have to pay to keep them is more than well worth the experience and if that is what it comes down to I'm fine with it. I would rather stop keeping small tetras altogether than give up my angel if thats what it comes down to.

smaug
02-10-2009, 11:08 PM
I have a huge marbled angel,he lives with at least a dozen torpedo shaped fish under an inch long.He doesnt mess with them.However,I have tried many times to add neons and cardinals with no survivors.IMO,the beauty and attitude of the angelfish outweighs anything a small schooler could add to my tank.Get a small angel and raise him with your little fish,always make sure you have the same type of small fish that he grew up with and I would suppose you would have the same luck I have had.

Gemini
02-11-2009, 03:15 AM
I tried it - it worked for awhile but then I noticed my Angel really fat and I was minus a tetra. Once he worked out he could eat them it was all over.

Capt
03-05-2009, 12:08 AM
I raised my angel with tetras and comet goldfish but alas now that my angel is almost 6 inches it has become extremely aggressive. If I miss a feeding time she will eat one of the tetras. So I put in more plants and create a small cave for the tetras to hide in. My school of neon tetras grew and thrived for a bit. Today my angel took out three tetras while I was asleep. I can only find the body to one of them.
Lesson learned: no more tetras with my angel.

terrapin24h
03-05-2009, 04:38 PM
whichever way you go, add the "center piece" fish AFTER everything else, especially if you go the gourami route. I had a gourami in a tank alone, added fish, and he attacked all of them. Didn't matter what i added. I have another gourami in my big tank, and i added him near last, and he is fine. You can only do so much, and the rest is up to the fish. Were i a betting man, i'd bet the angel would have a higher probability of turning hostile over time than the gourami. My experience dictates that if they are ok the first hour, they are ok. Regardless which you get, get one that is young as others have said.

--chris

Northernguy
03-05-2009, 05:00 PM
They are cichlids and if it fits in their mouth and its an easy catch consider them dinner.In most cases its when the angel is a mature adult.

Pterophyllum
03-11-2009, 01:02 AM
In a 50 gallon planted tank

10 harlequin rasboras
8 cardinal tetras
1 britle nose pleco
3 oto catfish

I need a centerpiece fish. I can't decide on either 1 opaline gourami or 1 or 2 angelfish.

I want to know if angelfish may eat a cardinal tetra or harlequin, or oto.

Thank you.

Also, are angelfishes aggressive to other fishes with long fins? such as a comet goldfish or betta?

The risks probably could be a little less since you have a planted tank, there are a lot of spaces for them to hide.

Although it's just my opinion..