PDA

View Full Version : Need to pick a bottom fish

JarredDarque
02-09-2006, 04:28 AM
ok, (hi, I am new here BTW) I have a 29 gallon tank, it is kinda a grow-out/display tank, I live in a dorm, is the largest I can have until this summer. In the mean time, the tank has 5 angels 2 at 1 inch, 3 are under 1/2 long, and 2 african butterfly fish

The tank has a small-mnedium gravel, deco, (a sunken ship) and a few plants

I need a fish, or multiple fish, for the bottom of the tank. It had a bichir, but he died recently due to a bacterial infection brought on by an infected feeder fish....anyways.

I would kinda prefer a larger fish, i.e. 5-6 inches maybe, maybe a bit more, if smaller of course would prefer 2 or more,

I also have snails in the tank , every kind...pond, MTSs, apples, and ramshorns. I do intend to keep the snails, and my angels dont bother them. So loaches are kinda out of the quistion, (like zebras, I know the rest get too big)

I have hada red-fin shark in there, but tehy get too nippy with the angels...I could get noather perhaps if I got him small? the angels of course are easy prey for a fin nipper, long fins, very slow etc etc

just, open for ideas. :)

Thankyou.
Jarred

JarredDarque
02-09-2006, 04:34 AM
BTW, the tnak will be upgraded in about 3 months, so unless it is something that will grow amazingly quick, outgrowing the tank or overcrowding is not much of a concern

if the fish will eventually get up to afoot or so, that is alright as well.

um. I had someting else to add...and it was....oh yeah the tank is very dark, as in, black gravel, dark deco, and the anachris is a darker green for the most part. and the tank only has 2/3 watts per gallon, adding to the dark tank

William
02-10-2006, 05:28 AM
What do you say about larger pleco species?

darqmarc
02-10-2006, 01:38 PM
I found a common pleco to be excellent with my angels previously because when they picked on him from time to time and he fought back - IF he fought back (big if) - he didn't really do any damage, just chase 'em. I've found that some species of catfish will, well, get in close and shred if they feel attacked. Nobody wants to see that happen to their angelfish.

JarredDarque
02-11-2006, 06:16 PM
I have hada pleco in that tank before, and he destroyed my plants. between chewing on them and being so clumsy as to just tear them out of the ground...on top of that, he would starve to death in this tank, he would be eating only supplied algae tablets.

darqmarc
02-11-2006, 06:27 PM
I'd go for a pictus then. If you think they're going hungry you can feed them standard sinking shrimp pellets. Mine loved 'em.

JarredDarque
02-12-2006, 09:05 AM
I settled on a raphael cat, striped, and 6 cories. I do not know that the full grown raphael is gonna make it, it seems he did not like the 2 hours he had to spend ina plastic baggy.

If he doesnt, I will just get a baby when the LFS gets a shipment in on wednesday....well, will get him in two weeks, the LFS does a mandatory quaranteen period on all fish when they come in. All their tanks are on their own filtration system as well so they can quarantted a tank if need be. great place. :)