PDA

View Full Version : Firebelly Toads And Red Spotted Newts

cer
02-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Are firebelly toads and red spotted newts compatible? If so how many could I put in a 20 gallon? Could it be aquatic with an island in the middle?

Wild Turkey
02-08-2009, 04:05 PM
People say that the toxins come into play, but i have always heard they dont release them unless they are stressed so its ok. Half aquatic setups look awesome but can be more work than an aquarium, and yes both species need dry land i believe.

cer
02-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Ok. Half of the terrarium could be aquatic and the other side could be land. But when I get the animals won't they be stressed? How many of each could I put in the terrarium?

Fishguy2727
02-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Do you mean eastern newt? (Notophthalmus viridescens)?

Have you read THIS (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=32129&highlight=viquarium) thread? The pics are in my Photobucket page in the Viquarium Album.

It is possible but there are some serious things to consider before doing it. The layout needs to be very naturalistic, no baren dealer tank looking setups. This helps give them their own space so they aren't piled on top of each other or always in eye sight.

How are you going to make it half land and half water?

What state do you live in?
Where are you going to get the newts?

cer
02-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I do not exactly know how to make it half land and half water. I was hoping to get the newts from a reptile and amphibian store. I live in Pennslyvaina. If I can not get that type of newt do you have a suggestion?

smaug
02-08-2009, 10:48 PM
http://www.vivariumforum.com/
here is a more appropriate place for info.they also have alot of info about how to make a palladuriam [half land].where in pa are you from?lancaster has a fabulous reptile amphib store where they have great examples to build by.

cer
02-08-2009, 11:05 PM
I am in Springfield. It is in Montgonery county.

Wild Turkey
02-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Just want to say, fishguy's viquarium is breathtaking, definitely give it a look.thumbs2:

cer
02-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Do you think I could find one on Craigslist? Anyway I just realized the red spotted newt is a native animal. I think instead I will get Japenese Fire Bellied Newts. How many of these could I have with the toads in a 20 gallon viquarium?

Fishguy2727
02-09-2009, 02:21 AM
If you read the whole thing about my viquarium you will see that the setup has a lot to do with how many can go in. A lot of decor can help, wide open spaces are not good. Most likely the max will be about two of each. A lot of it has to do with individuals too. One bad apple of a fire belly toad may make it seem like it can't work, but remove that one and everything is fine.

If you set it up right you can do certain fish as well.

cer
02-10-2009, 01:44 AM
What type of certain fish? I think that 2 of each would be fine. Do you know how I can make a half water half land terrarium?

Fishguy2727
02-10-2009, 02:12 AM
Some people silicone a piece of plexiglass to make a divider. This would allow you to grow live plants in the land area with the right substrate. Some people just pile up gravel at one end.

Anything fine in room temp will be fine. In my viquarium now I have guppies. When I redo it I will change that though. I will have hillstream loaches since there is an actual stream in there. I haven't decided what all to put in the water. Room temp options are: guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies, zebra danios (including gold, blue, and leopad), pearl danios, and some others. You are a little more limited in your options because of the size of the tank.

Obviously any fish will require good filtration and adequate water changes.

Let us know how this goes so we can help you along the way.