PDA

View Full Version : Is Louie Sick??

Chelley
02-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Good morning everyone,

I hope everyone's well.. I have reason to believe Sir Louie (my betta) is feeling a bit under the weather.. I've been reading past posts, but I'm still not sure whats up.. Louie has always been a very active boy, always moving, swimming, "poofing" out his beard, healthy appetite, but since last night, he's been quite listless.. hanging out at the bottom of the tank, with his fins closed .. he's still eating, but not with his usual zest.. from time to time, he swims around for a few minutes, but then returns to the bottom..he doesnt appear stressed or having difficulty breathing but around his gills looks .. I dont know how to describe it.. the best I can come up with is, aged ..or almost like scabbed up?? sorry, I really dont know how to describe it..I took a couple of pics of him this morning.. thats him in my icon so you can have something to compare to.. I dont see anything obvious, no white dots, fin rot, external parasites, what have you.. so I thought it wise to get other opinions.. I tested his water, no ammonia or nitrites

I appreciate any and all thoughts.. I would be just heartbroken to lose him..here are the pics I just took of him..

AmazingH
02-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Does he have a heater?
If it's colder it may just be that...

tanks4thememories
02-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Does he have a heater?
If it's colder it may just be that...

I agree has the temp changes recently?

Chelley
02-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Oh yes.. he has a heater, and its working.. water temp is the usual 80 degrees

Wild Turkey
02-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Is there anything in the tank he could get caught on?/ scrape on? Sounds like he may have damaged himself

Chelley
02-08-2009, 04:46 PM
theres nothing new in his tank, nothing sharp, and nothing set up in such a manner that he'd get stuck behind, in, etc.. no obvious signs of injury or illness.. hes just not acting right..

thanks everyone, for the suggestions/ideas/thoughts..I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me try and sort this out..

tanks4thememories
02-08-2009, 04:58 PM
How long have you had him?
How do you change the water?
How much water do you change?
How often do you change water?
what decorations and gravel do you have in tank?
What is the most recent change to the tank and or environment?

Chelley
02-08-2009, 05:12 PM
I've had him since just before Christmas... 25% WC weekly, water ALWAYS treated with dechlorinator before adding back to tank, decorations are 2 artificial plants, gravel is just usual gravel from lfs that I rinsed thoroughly before using.. absolutely nothing has been changed/added to tank or enviroment since I got him.. everything in there has been the same since I got him- and the tank was cycled prior to getting him..

Wild Turkey
02-08-2009, 05:17 PM
I've had him since just before Christmas... 25% WC weekly, water ALWAYS treated with dechlorinator before adding back to tank, decorations are 2 artificial plants, gravel is just usual gravel from lfs that I rinsed thoroughly before using.. absolutely nothing has been changed/added to tank or enviroment since I got him.. everything in there has been the same since I got him- and the tank was cycled prior to getting him..

u said a and Ni are zero, what about nitrate? anything else u test?

Im thinking it may be a build up of nitrates if you arent testing them. 25% weekly is kinda light

Chelley
02-08-2009, 05:40 PM
yes.. ammonia and trites are 0 .. but, pH is 7.4 .. WC is in order, yes?

tanks4thememories
02-08-2009, 05:53 PM
yes.. ammonia and trites are 0 .. but, pH is 7.4 .. WC is in order, yes?

How do you do WC do you vacuum the gravel?
How large is this tank again please?
Do you have a nitrate test kit?
If so what is the reading?

tanks4thememories
02-08-2009, 05:56 PM
u said a and Ni are zero, what about nitrate? anything else u test?

Im thinking it may be a build up of nitrates if you arent testing them. 25% weekly is kinda light

Yes could be. I think 25% can be fine if you vacuum gravel.

Chelley
02-08-2009, 06:24 PM
its 2.5 gal. I have a vac for my 55 gal but because Louie's tank is the size it is, I cant get suction going for the vac to work.. should I do a WC and manually clean the gravel? (rinse w/ hot water, no detergent etc) I dont have a nitrate test- I know I need one

heres what I was thinking- let me know if this is the way to go?

I kept the bowl Louie came home in for WCs .. so, remove some water into bowl, and so theres no temp/ new water shock, put louie in bowl-- remove 25% of water from tank, clean gravel, replace gravel and water (after its been treated w/dechlorinator, re-acclimate louie slowly to tank..

am I missing anything? anythign I should do differently?

Chelley
02-08-2009, 08:09 PM
I just did a 50% WC- no change/ improvement yet..

since I cant use my suction vac in there, anyone know a safe way I can clean the gravel??

Sharon
02-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Take Louie out...place him in the bowl. Take out all the water, and save. Remove everything from the tank, including gravel. This would be a great time to clean the glass. Rinse the gravel in some of the tank water, several times. Put everything back. Fill with fresh water. Acclimate Louie by adding some of the fresh tank water to the bowl, and let him sit there for 20mins. Pop Louie back in the nice clean tank....:ssmile:

Don't forget dechlorinator....and make sure the new water is what Louie is used to...

Chelley
02-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Sharon.. thank you! I will try that, but he looks very much like hes dying =(

hes at the bottom of the tank, kind of leaning up against a plant and his breathing seems labored..

I HOPE this works.. I will be so heartbroken if i lose him

Chelley
02-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Ok, just finished doing all that.. I replaced the gravel that was in there with the flat bottomed glass pieces, as I didnt like the " gravel dust" I found under the gravel when I emptied the tank.. Louie seemed to perk up as soon as I took him out... I slowly reintroduced him to the tank, waiting 20 mins while he acclimated in the bowl.. he swam around for several mins.. hes back at the bottom resting, but he HAS had quite a day. so Im going to keep a close eye on him

Sharon, thank you SO very much!! *crossing fingers.. and toes*

Sharon
02-09-2009, 01:58 AM
Hope he's better tomorrow!:ssmile: