PDA

View Full Version : And God said Let their be....

Mith
02-08-2009, 04:05 AM
CYCLE!

OMG OMG OMG... ok ok.... (panting breathing)... OK... I just checked my amonia and it's (drum roll),..... ZERO!

NOW... hopefully the fish store's open tomorrow. I will get peacocks.

MY question is: If I do a 50% water change tomorrow... do ALL the nitrites have to be gone? AND... how many nitrAtes should I have so I know when the water's fine.

SInce I won't get fish until tomorrow (hopefully) should I add a dribble more amonia tonight just to keep it going?

cocoa_pleco
02-08-2009, 04:09 AM
congrats!

and god also said, let there be proper use of "their" in titles. LOL, sorry, just had to

AABatteries
02-08-2009, 04:12 AM
Your Ites should turn into Ates. Once that happens and your Ites are 0 and Ates go up you're done.

Lady Hobbs
02-08-2009, 04:21 AM
Yes, the nitrites. They must also be registering 0. Any nitrites and you are not done yet. But, yes, a bit of ammonia to keep that bacteria alive.

Mith
02-08-2009, 04:21 AM
congrats!

and god also said, let there be proper use of "their" in titles. LOL, sorry, just had to

Hey, I was excited... LOL.... THERE! lol

So I'm checking my Ites now.... they should all turn into Ates correct? I wonder if they'll do that by tomorrow. Also, how many ppm of Ates should I have before I plop in the fish?

toddnbecka
02-08-2009, 04:32 AM
How long has the tank been cycling? Ammonia to nitrites is the first step, but ites to ates doesn't immediately follow because it's a second type of bacteria that does the conversion.In general you want to maintain nitrate @ less than 20 ppm, the lower the better.

AABatteries
02-08-2009, 04:35 AM
You don't want 0 Ates all the time though. 5ppm is good. Mine are usually 15-20ppm.

Mith
02-08-2009, 04:41 AM
OK... I still have tons if Ites... so I'll add a tad more amonia (thanks Miss Hobbs) and continue 'till there are no Ites....

:22:

Poofaye C.
02-08-2009, 05:51 AM
before I plop in the fish?
I'm sure you know, but just checking, just checking......you do know not to just plop em' in there, right? Haven't checked in a while, but how's your tank look'in at present??

By the way, I'm dissapointed in you Mith.......thought you would of had Hobbs have your tank winning TOTM by now!!!!:ssuprised: :ssmile: :ssuprised:

Mith
02-08-2009, 07:14 AM
I'm sure you know, but just checking, just checking......you do know not to just plop em' in there, right? Haven't checked in a while, but how's your tank look'in at present??

By the way, I'm dissapointed in you Mith.......thought you would of had Hobbs have your tank winning TOTM by now!!!!:ssuprised: :ssmile: :ssuprised:

I posted the current status of my tank in one of my recent threads. I posted a picture of the trites, trates and amonia. Amonia is zero now. Tons of Trites and Trates... I'm hoping to lose the trites tonight... wishfull thinking.. hehe. I added a bit more amonia just to keep things rolling.

Oh ya, and I know let them float in the bad in the tank for 15 minutes... THEN don't pour the fish store water into your tank.... (I'll need a smaller net for that.. LOL)

Sharon
02-08-2009, 12:07 PM
That's great, Mith...Now the nitrites have to be converted and you're done! You float the bag for 15 mins...then start adding some of your tank water to the bag...maybe 1/4 cup every 20 mins...Do this several times, and add the fish.

Mith
02-08-2009, 12:27 PM
That's great, Mith...Now the nitrites have to be converted and you're done! You float the bag for 15 mins...then start adding some of your tank water to the bag...maybe 1/4 cup every 20 mins...Do this several times, and add the fish.

So it takes an HOUR to acclimate the fish from the bag to the tank??? JFC!... lol

I have a LOT of nitrItes right now. I wonder how long it will take for them to convert to nitrAtes.... if I keep adding amonia, won't the nitrItes continue to grow? Seems that at this point I should quit adding amonia, but that's not what I'm being told.

Sharon
02-08-2009, 12:53 PM
The bacteria needed to convert Nitrites to Nitrates will grow and then the Nitrites will read 0ppm. Nitrates will be high. Then you do a large water change to reduce Nitrates. Keep adding the Ammonia to keep the process going....

Mith
02-08-2009, 12:59 PM
The bacteria needed to convert Nitrites to Nitrates will grow and then the Nitrites will read 0ppm. Nitrates will be high. Then you do a large water change to reduce Nitrates. Keep adding the Ammonia to keep the process going....

Gotcha! My amonia's zero now... I'll add more right away. thumbs2:

geowashlaw
02-08-2009, 04:34 PM
only add it once a day ... every day you want to raise the ammonia to about 3 ppm ... keep doing that until ammonia and nitrites read 0 ppm

sandy_n
02-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Hang in there Mith you're almost there...:thumb:

fishlover49
02-08-2009, 06:27 PM
You are very close now!! :19: :19: Great job!!