PDA

View Full Version : Divided Tank Suggestions

s72450
02-07-2009, 10:15 PM
I found a 20g long tank that I'd like to divide up for my four males. I have plexi-glass dividers that were made for the tank, but I've run into a problem, how do I "black" them out? I'm afraid the fish will get too stressed seeing each other constantly.

I thought about planting alongside the dividers to reduce visual contact, but I'm sure that won't be perfect. The tank will be divided four ways, allowing five gallons per betta. I'm going to have "caves" for each male so that might cut down on the stress if they can hide when needed.

I think over and over again how in stores bettas are right next to each other and seem okay, but I just don't want my males trying to fight with one another or harming themselves from the stress.

Brookfish
02-08-2009, 03:14 AM
If you have a sign writing company or one that makes number plates
near you, take along your plexi-glass divider and have them cut some
perspex the same size in your choice of colour, drill some holes in it
for water flow and your problem is solved.

invadertoast
02-08-2009, 05:40 AM
My betta tank has a clear Plexi divider and my two males seem fine, they don't even pay attention to eachother the majority of the time. If you're concerned,having colored plexi panels cut would be ideal but since you already have your dividers cut, maybe you could get some thin plastic folders (like from CVS) and cut them to size and slide them into the tank next to the divider? Like these: http://www.jampaper.com/userFiles/productImages/full_093_Heavy%20Duty%20Plastic%20Folders.jpg

Edit: Depending on the width of your plexi, you could use the binding edges from these things to hold the colored panels to the plexi dividers:http://www.global-b2b-network.com/direct/dbimage/50348719/Slide_Grip_Report_Cover.jpg I've used them to fill gaps on the edges of my old divider panels and they worked great!

cocoa_pleco
02-08-2009, 05:44 AM
to black them out, just give them a spray with black krylon fusion. completely safe to be in the tank. do about 5-7 coats to prevent chipping, let it sit for 3 days, and 110% safe

tanks4thememories
02-08-2009, 05:59 AM
eventually they learn they cant get to the other fish and they dont pay it any attention. Fish are A LOT smarter than we give them credit for...lol

geminidragn
02-18-2009, 06:13 AM
I have two 10 gallon tank with a Betta on each side. I have a clear tank divider for each tank as well. They do flare out at each other alot at first but they eventually learn to ignore the other fish if they do not want to interact.

A common misconception is that Bettas want to fight all the time. They will when they feel the need or the want but most of the time my guys just swim around even if they see each other.

Obelisk
02-21-2009, 06:45 AM
I don't think blacking out the dividers will be necessary. I have 2 plakat males in a divided 10 gallon. They flare at each other occasionally, but for the most part they're pretty calm. I believe that them having another male to flare at keeps them stimulated. If they would be doing it all the time, I'd have given them an opaque divider, but they're all right how I have them.

s72450
02-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Well I sat the tank up with the clear dividers and the two bettas on the ends didn't seem to care, but the two in the middle would constantly try to ram the dividers to get to one another whenever the light was on. I had to take the whole tank down and I've covered the dividers and I'm going to try again.

Obelisk
02-22-2009, 07:21 AM
Sucks to hear that. I guess what works for one betta doesn't necessarily work for the other.

s72450
02-22-2009, 08:13 AM
I siliconed the dividers in place today after covering them with black vinyl. I looked it up and apparently it's 100% safe for the fish to have this in the water. I'm going to silicon it again in the morning just to be safe and then let it dry again. I figure on Monday I'll begin to fill it back up with water, add the sand and planets and try it all again. I think it's going to work this time and I'll have a nice happy place for my guys to live in.