PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Shrimp worth?

Hailey
02-07-2009, 09:24 PM
I was wondering how much cherry shrimp are worth? The first and only time I've seen them was yesterday a couple towns away and they were going for $7.99 for two. I thought this was pricey for them. Oh and would my loaches or corys eat them?
Thanks!

Shea
02-07-2009, 09:26 PM
I was wondering how much cherry shrimp are worth? The first and only time I've seen them was yesterday a couple towns away and they were going for $7.99 for two. I thought this was pricey for them. Oh and would my loaches or corys eat them?
Thanks!

From what I've read i would think the loaches might eat them. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. Good luck!

fraggle
02-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Well I'm in Australia and the only time I saw them was last week and they were $9.99 each!!!!!1

I'm not sure about if the fish would eat them, I've never had shrimp so I can't say sorry.

Wild Turkey
02-07-2009, 09:30 PM
In the U.S they are about $2 in the store and $1 from a good breeder. However, it depends on where you are, if they arent around thats when you start seeing 10$ and stuff.
7 or 8 seems to not be so uncommon for canada, but i suspect you could find a private breeder still.

Anything that can fit them in their mouth usually will, they get to a little over 1". Babies though, get eaten by everything and mostly the cherries wont breed with tankmates. Some exceptions ive seen are mystery snails and heard of others like dwarf corys, though i have to suspect the dwarf corys were eating quite a few.

korith
02-07-2009, 09:37 PM
I would get them from someone in one of the various forums, even this one. Most people will sell them for $1-2 range. I would get at least 5-10 of them, to ensure you get a nice population. You want a good mix of males and females, to get your population growing. Your loaches probably would eat them. The baby shrimp are very small like 2mm range. Also the adult shrimp when they molt, they are more vulnerable. I have pygmy cories and dwarf rasbora in my shrimp tank and they seem to work well together. No real issues as far as I can tell.

If you are worried about the cost of the cherry shrimp, just remember the population will grow fairly quickly, so you can probably make back what you spend on them in a few months time.

Hailey
02-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Alright, thanks for all the info guys. If I can find someone who sells them for cheaper I would deff. try to get some then, I'm pretty broke nowadays, lol.

And I see what you mean about how small the babies are, I saw one in the tank next to an adult. Man it was cute. Hopefully I can get some one day.

Wild Turkey
02-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Another problem i forgot to mention, the only petstores ive seen that carry them carry only females. Which would mean no reproduction obviously

Hailey
02-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Oh, that would suck. Well what is the difference between males and females?

Wild Turkey
02-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Oh, that would suck. Well what is the difference between males and females?

If you didnt immediately notice when you looked at the tank they are probably all females.

Females are a lot redder and usually bigger,

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa132/Turkey151/Fish/DSCF1520.jpg

I shot this last night, good pic for comparison. Theres two pairs, the bigger ones are the females and they are a lot redder as you can see.

Algenco
02-08-2009, 12:11 AM
whatever someone is willing to pay:hmm3grin2orange:

I know that the major wholesaler in the Eastern U.S. charges $1.05 ea, the few shops that I've seen them in charge $3.95

fireman5214
02-11-2009, 03:19 AM
I have just gotten 2 red cherry shrimp from Doctor's Fosters and SMith Liveaquaria.com for 4.99 a piece. THey do have both female and male, you can request at least one of each but no gaurantee. I did get a male and female you can notice one is redder then the other. I have ordered fish fromthere before as well and they are doing very good.

korith
02-11-2009, 04:10 AM
I have just gotten 2 red cherry shrimp from Doctor's Fosters and SMith Liveaquaria.com for 4.99 a piece. THey do have both female and male, you can request at least one of each but no gaurantee. I did get a male and female you can notice one is redder then the other. I have ordered fish fromthere before as well and they are doing very good.

Wow pricy! Might have been safer to get more than one of each sex, just to ensure that you get a viable population.

Hailey
02-11-2009, 04:43 AM
Well I just picked up two for $7. I would have gottne more, but I had a tight budget, and Hank, my weather loach might eat them up. Hope fully I didnt buy him an expensive treat...
Right now thier hanging around on my floating plant, they love it. I really cant tell if I have a female or not, but I'm sure I have at least one male.
Do you think I should put them in my crowntail tank? Too maybe keep them safer?

korith
02-11-2009, 06:07 AM
Well I just picked up two for $7. I would have gottne more, but I had a tight budget, and Hank, my weather loach might eat them up. Hope fully I didnt buy him an expensive treat...
Right now thier hanging around on my floating plant, they love it. I really cant tell if I have a female or not, but I'm sure I have at least one male.
Do you think I should put them in my crowntail tank? Too maybe keep them safer?

Most fish will unfortunately look at them as food. Even if the shrimp can't fit in their mouths, they may tear them apart. I keep mine with small sized fish, dwarf rasbora, pygmy rasbora, both are about 2cm long. You can the shrimp a fighting chance if they have lots of hiding places. Bushy plants are nice too, or even java moss.

The female rcs are usually a darker red, and larger in size and rounder than the males. Easiest way to find the females though is just to pick the ones with eggs:p