PDA

View Full Version : jaguar missing fins?

ruckus226
02-08-2007, 04:00 AM
hello i am a noob, i am ruckus226 hoping someone can point me in the right direction..

i bought a jaguar cichlid about 2 months ago at a local pet store.. it was in a 55 gallon tank and said very agressive on the side of the tank as it sat there and twitched i knew i had to have it.

When i got it home after tank set up i noticed something i didnt notice at the pet store and that was that she had no left side fins.. the side fin. looks like a little nub flapping there.. thus the name i gave her is Nemo.. and shes even missing that side on her belly fins.. does anyone know if they will grow back or how this could have happened at all? i would greatly appreciate your help.

also i got the bright idea to spend 6 dollars on another cichlid, no idea what it is.. i might be able to take a picture of it.. surprisingly the jaguar has not attacked it.. it is only about 1.5 inches in size, and taller than a gold fish, but she will eat the goldfish and hasnt even tried to attack the youngster cichlid. the only thing i can think of is that she has been laying eggs lately and maybe she thinks one hatched? any ideas on this? thanks

Fishguy2727
02-08-2007, 12:51 PM
If the fins are gone very close to the body they may not grow back at all. Sometimes aggressive animals just pick one or more other animals that they don't kill for some unknown reason. Will either take pellets? If so it is much healthier for them and you will end up with faster growing, healthier, better colored fish. Live foods can introduce a lot of parasites and diseases, they make the fish more aggressive, and they are not even close to nutritionally complete.

cocoa_pleco
02-08-2007, 10:34 PM
yeah, they may not grow back, but sometimes they'll grow back a bit

freshwaterfishlover
02-12-2007, 07:48 PM
The fish was attacked at the store. Just my guess.

ruckus226
03-07-2007, 02:12 AM
well im not sure what kind of fish it is living with it it was labeled south american cichlid.. almost looks like a jack demsey.. yes she eats pellets, i occasionally give her feeder fish but her staple is the pellets even though she makes a mess with them.. also my water is constantly turning green within a couple weeks. i have tried 4 filters, but im thinking about going with the rena filstar xp3, which i have for my turtle tank and i dont have to change that for months..what would cause my water to turn green? my ex roomate had a 90 gallon we filled and it did the same thing, i had used alge gone, and also have used the starting liquid for it.. i dont know why its doing it.

Fishguy2727
03-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Fluval is a step above Rena, and no filter should be left for months, that allows gunk to build up which can make your nitrates spike. What brand of pellets are you feeding? Never feed live if it will take pellets, you are just asking for disease outbreak.

Severus
03-07-2007, 03:59 PM
You had an algea bloom. Make sure to regulary maintain your tank to preven outbreaks like this

reddevil6
03-17-2007, 06:23 AM
if the fins are gone nere the body of her there is a good chance there not going to grow back

digger
08-01-2007, 11:26 PM
if the fins have anything left of the fin not just a nub they may grow back if they do grow back its usually noticable pretty soon my jags only eat live food they wont eat anything else we tried everything from sinking carnivore pellets to floating carnivore sticks to fish flakes they wont even touch brine shrimp so what i did was set up two tanks with feeder fish theres enough food in each tank for a month i alternate the tanks by doing this i can monitor for disease as most feeder fish are not very healthy and if disease does show up i have enough time to treat it so that it doesnt get introduced into my jag tank its alot of work so if your fish will accept other forms of food i would stick to that as its a lot less work and a lot less expense .hope you are enjoying your jag .