PDA

View Full Version : How much does Java fern take over what its planted on?

hideandseek
02-07-2009, 04:16 AM
If I planted some java fern on top of a rock-cave structure would the roots do anything like wrap into the cave and make it unusable to the fish?

doug z
02-07-2009, 04:27 AM
They might a bit, but not to the extent that it would make it unusable to the fish..

Even if it does, you can always trim it back..

Welcome to the forum!

Sir Tristen
02-07-2009, 04:50 AM
Java fern grows SLOW. You'll be fine and can trim it as necessary, but I've never heard of it taking over anything. It's a great plant!

NickFish
02-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Depends.

My java fern grows moderately fast, but most seem to report it as growing slow.

I think it is fairly safe to say that it will grow at the speed of your lighting and fertilization. Java fern with shop lights will probably grow at a snails pace, but put java fern in a high-light, CO2 enriched heavily fertilized planted tank and it takes over, fast!

Don't believe me, check out this aquascape by Miao Dongliang. See that giant mass of leaves in the middle? That is all java fern. Whatever it was attached to is completely gone.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj186/Nickkkp/236.jpg

But of course, like it has been said, you can just trim it no problem.

AquaBANG
02-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Depends.

My java fern grows moderately fast, but most seem to report it as growing slow.

I think it is fairly safe to say that it will grow at the speed of your lighting and fertilization. Java fern with shop lights will probably grow at a snails pace, but put java fern in a high-light, CO2 enriched heavily fertilized planted tank and it takes over, fast!

Don't believe me, check out this aquascape by Miao Dongliang. See that giant mass of leaves in the middle? That is all java fern. Whatever it was attached to is completely gone.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj186/Nickkkp/236.jpg

But of course, like it has been said, you can just trim it no problem.

Nick Fish thats one amazing aquascape.

DrNic
03-22-2009, 06:27 PM
My java ferns always grow slow, although I don't use any ferts in my systems. They will grow over what they are attached to but usually you can just trim them back if you need to.