PDA

View Full Version : Land areas for crabs

douce101
02-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Since i've heard crabs need to be able to get out of water someway or another, I was curious if I could have something like a floating log of some sorts that they could use, instead of having to find something that extends from the bottom of the tank to the top. My water height is about 10 ft, would they be able to swim that far up anyway?

andreal1623
02-07-2009, 08:01 PM
They wouldn't be able to swim up but are very good climbers. We have a turtle dock (floating platform) in our tank for our crabs and a large artificial plant for them to climb up.
thumbs2:

HomaridNoob6
02-08-2009, 01:44 AM
My water height is about 10 ft, would they be able to swim that far up anyway?

Whoa! I wanna see a pic of your tank!

douce101
02-08-2009, 04:04 AM
Whoa! I wanna see a pic of your tank!

Woahhhh, ahahaha, slight typo. 10 inches! Ahaha, I wish it was 10 ft!

HomaridNoob6
02-08-2009, 04:43 AM
I see, I thought it might be a typo, but i was really hoping not, cause i wanna see a 10 ft deep tank! at 10" some type of floating object would work great, as long as you have something like Andreal1623 has, a plant for them to climb. just make sure your tank top is very secure, crabs r crazy escape artists.

douce101
02-08-2009, 05:29 AM
ahaha, well, so far he's been doing great. I got him earlier today with my girlfriend (who origional said how she didn't want me to get a crab, but then felt completely in love with it when she saw it, aha). He found himself a spot inbetween two pieces of driftwood and has been chilling out there since. I'll try and get some pictures going soon. And yeah, I've heard more then once they like to escape, aha. I think my tank will be ok though, since the only thing they can climb to reach the top of the tank is a single branch, so aslong as the food lid is closed, i should be set.