PDA

View Full Version : Well....it's starting again!

Scuba Guy
02-07-2007, 04:36 PM
My angels were doing so well since the last bout when I lost most of them (bacterial wipeout) last November.

Back then - I was late - but added Gentamycin to the tank and the fish quickly recovered. Within 24 hours they were back to attacking the food - fins recovered. I set up a hospital tank and put two of my 10 angels in there who did not seem to recover as well as the others (white stuff on their bodies - not eating) along with Gentamycin. It worked. Within 24 hours the two fish recovered fully.

That was 3 months ago.

Today, one of the same two fish was listless at the top of the aquarium corner and not eating while the other nine attacked the food as normal. He looked o.k. - no fin rot or whitishness, but fins were somewhat clamped and he/she (can't tell) was not at all interested in eating. This is the first sign.
I just knew that if I left it this way, tomorrow, it would be worse.

So I set up my hospital tank again with Gentamycin and put this one fish in there.

We'll see if he/she recovers. It should be quick if it is the same bacteria - I'll know in 12 hours - but I'll leave him/her in there for 5 days.

Meanwhile - water changes. (I hate this). I will start changing the water 20% at a time over 5 days - each day.

This one angel must be weaker than the rest - but he/she is sure gorgeous - jet black with blue and purple streaks. Iridescent looking with red eyes.

At least I am not treating the main tank - I'm still recovering from the cloudy water/protein skimm issues Gentamycin caused.

Lady Hobbs
02-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I do pretty large water changes for my angels with them being fragile as they are. 40% a week and sometimes even a bit more.

Have you treated them for internal parasites? I found a med called Lifeguard that treats ulcers, internal parasites as well as external. It was only $10.

Even if you think a fish has recovered, continue to treat them as directed. It's rather like us humans on antibiotics. We may feel better but need to take the whole dose or may end up ill again.

I wish you good luck getting this fish well.

jeffs99dime
02-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I do pretty large water changes for my angels with them being fragile as they are. 40% a week and sometimes even a bit more.

Have you treated them for internal parasites? I found a med called Lifeguard that treats ulcers, internal parasites as well as external. It was only $10.

Even if you think a fish has recovered, continue to treat them as directed. It's rather like us humans on antibiotics. We may feel better but need to take the whole dose or may end up ill again.

I wish you good luck getting this fish well.

hobbs is the "angel master" in my book!

Severus
02-07-2007, 09:17 PM

How do you like the Lifeguard hobbs? i have been contemplating buying some and keeping it on hand