PDA

View Full Version : green dots on the glass

cgi 03
02-06-2009, 06:35 AM
hi there I'm kinda new i've got a small 30l tank and a 250l community tank for a year and a half. Recently i found green dots on my glass. I've tried washing it off but that didn't work. I read that a siamese algae eater could sort out this problem. Any advice welcome, please help!!!!!

Mvjnz
02-06-2009, 07:01 AM
These little dots are just a sign that your tank is balanced and doing well:)

I usually get a kitchen sponge with one smooth and one rough side on it, and just rub the glass with the rough side. Takes a bit of rubbing, but not too bad.

cgi 03
02-06-2009, 07:17 AM
These little dots are just a sign that your tank is balanced and doing well:)

I usually get a kitchen sponge with one smooth and one rough side on it, and just rub the glass with the rough side. Takes a bit of rubbing, but not too bad.

but there are a lot and it makes my tank look dirty...

Deleted User
02-06-2009, 08:59 AM
The green spots are normal. They are a form of algae and ALL tanks get them.

a siamese algae eater would do the job but not as good a job as cleaning them off yourself as Mvjnz has described. Plus it depend on what other fish you have as you have to think on stocking levels and what size the fish will get to. Siamese algae eaters do get agressive after a while too.:ssmile:

Fishalicious
02-06-2009, 11:10 AM
A little 'Did you know' for you...

http://fishaliciousfish.blogspot.com/2007/09/did-you-know-spots-on-aqua-glass.html

:11:

geowashlaw
02-06-2009, 02:47 PM
my ottos cleaned all mine off for me and have been keeping it clean ... when I first moved my fish over from the 10g to the 46g I only had 2 ottos and it got ahead of them ... I upped their population to 6 and haven't seen it since.

Lady Hobbs
02-06-2009, 02:49 PM
I scape mine off with a razor blade.

tim k
02-07-2009, 11:39 PM
I have always used a razor blade myself but I like the idea of the Ottos eating it , but what do you feed them when they run out of algae ?

Tim k

doug z
02-08-2009, 01:43 AM
I go over it with an "algae mitt"..

Then for the stubborn stuff I use an "algae scraper" (glorified spackle trowel).

Otos will eat pretty much any vegetable..

Favorites are cucumbers and zucchini..

Brookfish
02-08-2009, 02:34 AM
An old credit card works great at removing green spot algae,
as does a kitchen sponge, just be careful cleaning near the
substrate, if you pick some up it will scrape your glass.

cgi 03
02-09-2009, 07:20 AM
Thanx alot guys!!! Whats an Otto?

karbomb
02-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Thanx alot guys!!! Whats an Otto?
ottoclinus (sp?) an type of algae eating fish.

i use one of those new fangled magnets with algae pads on each side. i don't like putting my hands in the tank and those things work great.

doug z
02-09-2009, 07:33 AM
"oto"

Otocinclus affinis

i use one of those new fangled magnets with algae pads on each side.

I dunno..

I'd always be afraid of a small piece of gravel getting stuck between the pad and scratching the heck out of the glass.. :(

karbomb
02-09-2009, 07:47 AM
I'd always be afraid of a small piece of gravel getting stuck between the pad and scratching the heck out of the glass.. :(
IME:
it's a magnet, and it stays together from outside of glass to inside of glass, so there's no chance for a gap for a rock to get caught in. the magnet will push the gravel away. i've never had a scratch or a prolem (aside from the initial cost) IMO it works really well. :)

doug z
02-09-2009, 04:50 PM
The only one I've ever seen was on a friend's SW tank, and he had scratches all over his tank..

He said that was what happens with those things, from time to time..

So I put it on the "avoid like plague" list.. LOL

Plus, it's one more thing you have to hide in your tank..

fins_n_fur
02-09-2009, 04:56 PM
I can see sand getting stuck between the two halves, and for that you need to be careful. No need to keep it in the tank, although many folks do. I take mine out when I'm done.