PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Royal Pleco (Panaque nigrolineatus)

Kadina
02-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Tuesdays and Fridays are new stock days at my lfs so I went over lunch today to browse and they had a tank full of Royal Plecos. Oh my, they are beautiful. They ranged in size from 3 to 8 inches and up close they looked like they had a coating of fur. Magnificent looking fish. I spent a good ten minutes with my face up close to the tank just watching these guys. If I ever have the opportunity for a large tank I will definitely be considering one of these. Does anyone have any personal experience with them?

Deleted User
02-03-2009, 06:09 PM
That is a very nice royal.

My LFS had this one in one of there display tanks. :ssmile:

He is huge.

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo119/Celticfinspics/RoyalPlec.jpg

sandy_n
02-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Nice looking royal!

Northernguy
02-03-2009, 08:47 PM
They sure are nice looking plecos!
I wish the stores around here would order different stuff instead of the usual everbody else has type of fish.:22:

Dave66
02-03-2009, 09:39 PM
I've had one for over 15 years now, and is lord of all he surveys. He, or she (fish is a little too bulky to be a male), has gnawed through now nine large pieces of driftwood in his tank over the last decade and a half. No wonder the natives call them 'canoe eaters'.

Royal plecos do reach 16 inches long and are very high and wide-bodied fish. I wouldn't recommend keeping one in anything under 150 gallons. Providing driftwood is vital to long-term health.

Dave

Brookfish
02-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Wow Dave that's a long time to have a pleco, great job!!
seems like he has cost you a bit in drift wood to, lol
Great pics of the Royals btw folks, beautiful plec and definitely
on my wanted list for the future!!

Crispy
02-05-2009, 08:08 PM
I'm trying to get a 5" royal pleco from someone here for a good price... we'll see if he responds... good price for a decent size... my tank is full of wood for him too!

http://windsor.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-pets-for-sale-Royal-Plecostomus-W0QQAdIdZ104177559

Crispy
02-07-2009, 01:39 AM
well, I got the pleco... better pics to come soon...