PDA

View Full Version : First Timer with FL Cycle! Need feedback.

mle
02-03-2009, 03:00 AM
Hey guys. First off: Thanks for being there to answer all of my questions! You are FABULOUS!! :19:

Now down to business. I have had my 29g tank up and cycling since the very beginning of January (6th or so if I had to guess) and have been trying to follow Lady Hobbs' guidelines for a FL cycle, but have been feeding the tank flakes and bloodworms as though there were fish in there. I threw in some Cycle at the very beginning too and have a few live plants in there (as well as the snail population that has boomed as a result). I was expecting a good bit of difference between my method and the one suggested, but was hoping you guys would be willing to give me feedback on how it's going as I hear it should take quite a bit longer that using pure ammonia, which is cool with me. I have attached a graph I threw together showing what's been going on. 12700 **First time attaching something, really hope it worked** Any advice always appreciated!
:cat: "They're all gonna laugh at you!"

fins_n_fur
02-03-2009, 09:33 AM
What was the reason you choose to use fish food over ammonia? In my thinking, dosing ammonia to keep to about 4.5-5.0 ppm per day is more precise than feeding fish food. You have to wait for the fish food to decompose before there is an ammonia source for the beneficial bacteria to start growing. What is your tank temp and do you have surface agitation for oxygen exchange or an air stone running? It appears that the Cycle added the nitrates (is this how it works?). I think you are close now...I can see that ammonia is near zero, you have nitrates, and nitrites appear to be increasing. When both the ammonia and nitrites are zero, you have cycled. You just need a massive water change (like 50%) to get the nitrates down to 20 ppm or less.

Wild Turkey
02-03-2009, 10:14 AM
What was the reason you choose to use fish food over ammonia? In my thinking, dosing ammonia to keep to about 4.5-5.0 ppm per day is more precise than feeding fish food. You have to wait for the fish food to decompose before there is an ammonia source for the beneficial bacteria to start growing. What is your tank temp and do you have surface agitation for oxygen exchange or an air stone running? It appears that the Cycle added the nitrates (is this how it works?). I think you are close now...I can see that ammonia is near zero, you have nitrates, and nitrites appear to be increasing. When both the ammonia and nitrites are zero, you have cycled. You just need a massive water change (like 50%) to get the nitrates down to 20 ppm or less.

Agreed 100%, When you do that big waterchange, try to get a lot of that food and junk out of the tank, that will reduce the ammonia produced and so increase the bio load you can introduce safely without a mini-cycle.

mle
02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Woo hoo!!! :19: That's exactly the info I needed.

I chose not to use the pure ammonia because I had everything else I needed and didn't want to buy anything extra if I could avoid it. I tend to collect crap needlessly. But I think I'll be breaking down and buying some soon so that I have more controll in my next cycle.

The tank has been at 73-75 degrees. The heater I bought was broken and took the tank to 90 degrees overnight (after hours of supervision as I was suspicious it might have been broken) on its first night up so it has been removed and the tank has been at the same temp as our house since. Looking into buying a Stealth when my paycheck rolls around.

And yep, the Cycle is supposed to add Nitrates I think, will check the box when I get home.