PDA

View Full Version : Otocinclus species being captive bred?

troy
02-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Are the otocinclus species available in the aquarium trade wildcaught or are some mass bred at fish farms?

Algenco
02-03-2009, 02:59 AM
vast majority if not all are wild caught

Algenco
02-03-2009, 03:05 AM
check the vid, I can't get it to post here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilnitMs1LRk

troy
02-03-2009, 03:10 AM
Just saw that video yesterday. Thanks for the clarification. Just what I thought. It's pretty sad that so many fish are still being caught in the wild.

Algenco
02-03-2009, 03:17 AM
Just saw that video yesterday. Thanks for the clarification. Just what I thought. It's pretty sad that so many fish are still being caught in the wild.

it would be nice if everything was captive bred, but do you really think catching fish in the Amazon basin for the aquarium trade is hurting stocks?

troy
02-03-2009, 03:22 AM
Not really but too many fish are becoming endangered becase of the fish trade. The way they capture and transport fish isn't very good for the most part. The otos are in horrible shape by the time they reach the fish stores.

Fishguy2727
02-03-2009, 03:30 AM
All of Petsmart's fish are captive bred so if they carry it, it is being captive bred. I believe there may be a very select few exceptions (like clown loaches, they carry them and they have been captive bred, but as far as I know not in anything close to the numbers for Petsmart alone).

In almost every case where a species is threatened in the wild it is not because of the pet trade but because of other issues mainly, the pet trade is a fraction of the total. Logging hundreds of miles up stream can do it, dams, farming, fishing for other species (one species effectively removed can throw off the entire ecosystem), etc.

In reality I think most will end up threatened to extinct in the wild, at most the pet trade slightly accelerates that process.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-03-2009, 04:27 AM
I can only think of 2 species of fish that are being threatened by the trade, and one of them it is a combination.

Bangaii Cardinals - the threat to their population is entirely from the aquarium trade

Zebra Plecos (L046) - the biggest threat to them is the destruction of their habitat, but the very high demand for these in the hobby has only encouraged poachers and smugglers to continue catching them in the wild.

Both of the above species are being bred in captivity, however both are rather slow reproducers. Zebra Plecos generally only produce 6-8 young with each breeding. Bangaii Cardinals are about the same number.