PDA

View Full Version : feeding silversides to oscars and carbon in cartridges

smokeypea
02-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Is it ok to feed frozen silversides to my oscar? i can get them from the lfs and of course thaw them out for him. Also i have 2 penguin biowheel filters running so i have 3 cartridges in them altogether, i am worried about the carbon haveing heard many reports about HITH ect,, he doesnt have that though, when i put new cartridges in the filters and cut them and remove the carbon do i have to put anything else in its place?or just the cartridge? i have seen the long pieces of blue fliter that you can cut to size to fit the cartirge slot, ifi do that what other things do i have to oput in the cartidge? someone the lfs told me to put either biomax in a small bag or else ammonia remover, i keep getting many different stories and dont know whats best thanks for any help and sorry for all the questions.

f1oored
02-06-2007, 10:16 PM
If you are running 2 biowheels you shouldn't need to use ammonia remover or biomax. The biowheel itself will take care of your ammonia and nitrites. If you don't want to use carbon you can just re-use the black plastic part of the filter cartridge. If your bio wheel has room for 2 cartriges (and most do) you can tear the blue fiber off on two of them, put them both into the filter, and then fill the space between them with that white floss fiber that comes in bags for a few dollars.

If that seems a little confusing let me know and I will make a picture to show you what I mean.

smokeypea
02-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Sorry to appear a bit dim but do you mean to make like a sandwhich? blue filter then in the middle the white floss fiber then blue filter floss?? where do i put the black plastic part from the cartridge? i am doin a water change tomorrow and i want to out some new cartridges in, so thats why i want to know what to do, thanks for your reply. oh yes and i think i need a picture lol

f1oored
02-07-2007, 04:37 AM
Alright here we go.

Take the blue stuff off and throw it away. The hard plastic parts are what you are going to keep and use over and over. In the back of your filter where the cartridges go there are two slots (unless you have a 350 or a 400 in which case there are 4 slots). Put one filter in each slot (without the blue fiber). There should be a space between the filters. Fill that space with the white floss that you got from walmart for 1.35 a bag.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c45/f1oored/filter.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c45/f1oored/again-1.jpg

Hope this helps!

cocoa_pleco
02-07-2007, 04:40 AM
nice pic skillz

thats really good what you did with paint

f1oored
02-07-2007, 05:17 AM
Yes some day I will learn to use photoshop like a big boy lol.

smokeypea
02-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Wow f100RED,,,, thats wonderful, thanks so much for taking the time to show me what you meant, i am goin to walmart tomorrow so will get some floss and get it started. Have you by anychance heard of EcoAqualizer.com ? i am not sure about sending for the item what do u think? sounds good but you never know, been reading up on it and it does sound good. Its for my OSCAR tank, he is so messy and i thought maybe it would help guard against HITH ect, although i do 3 water changes per week, and vacumn the gravel.. thanks again for the drawings, lol they were great