PDA

View Full Version : Temp for ich in goldfish

scruffy
02-02-2009, 11:47 PM
I have a comet gold fish with to little ich spots on his tail. Normally, with my tropical fish, I use salt and a higher temperature - 80 + and sometimes I use a malachite green ich medicine. I have added 6 table spoons of aquarium salt into his 55 gallon tank. I am nervous, however, about raising the temp too high. One goldfish book from the 80's reccomended raising the temp to 80+, but I wanted to hear what you thought about what a safe temp was for goldies for ich treatment, before I pull the heater for that tank out of the basement.

Thanks,
S

Fishguy2727
02-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Since it is a long-bodied goldfish it is hardier than the fancy round-bodieds, so it can go in to the lower 80s without any issues.

How long have you had the fish?
What is the pH?
Nitrate concentration?
Regular temp?
Diet?
Water change schedule?

Did you read the article 'Diseases in Aquarium Fish'? I don't know where it ended up in the forum, but there is also a copy in my blog. It can help a lot with understanding both sides of disease, the disease itself and the stressor (the real cause).

scruffy
02-03-2009, 01:26 AM
Actually, I have one telescope in that tank. Would he be OK?

Mvjnz
02-03-2009, 01:38 AM
I've treated goldfish for ich using nothing but heat, raised it to 32C, but because it was hot during that time the temp got up to 35C at times, but it didn't seem to bother them at all. The pond they live in has been about 30C all summer, and they've been breeding in it.

So my impression is that heat isn't really an issue for goldfish.

Fishguy2727
02-03-2009, 01:41 AM
The telescope should be fine for a little while, just watch for signs of stress.

Can you answer the questions listed please, so we can help you further.

saix88
02-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Why do people keep single tails in aquariums? The comet will out swim and see things much better than the telescope, I don't like mixing, but just make sure the telescope gets his food.

Fishguy2727
02-19-2009, 04:03 PM
As long as the tank is big enough it is fine to keep long-bodied/single-tailed goldfish in an aquarium.