PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Quickly



Cichlid_Man
01-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Hey everybody…
I got up this morning and found one of my newer fish dead. A Powder Blue Scolofi.
No sign of any other fish abusing it, just dead.
Now, I just got back from getting my granddaughter and see others hanging out at the top.
Nothing has changed. Perfect water parameters and temp.
I was thinking of doing a major water change and not adding back any Malawi buffer or cichlid lake salt.
Any opinions on what I should do?
I figure the more help I get on this the better!

Lady Hobbs
01-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Joe, when you test for ammonia are you letting the vial sit for several minutes after doing the test? It takes 10 minutes or so for the colors to change?

I wish I could offer some advice but I am perplexed as well. Hanging at the top generally means there is ammonia and the fish are starved for oxygen.

Fish gasp for breath at the surface.
Purple or red gills.
Fish is lethargic.
Loss of appetite.
Fish lay on the bottom of the tank.
Red streaking on the fins.

It's possible that they never had that disease they had (can't remember the name now) at all but are having the same reoccuring symptoms as they had before? Test your water right from the tap for ammonia, as well.

It REALLY sounds like ammonia poisoning to me.

Cichlid_Man
01-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Joe, when you test for ammonia are you letting the vial sit for several minutes after doing the test? It takes 10 minutes or so for the colors to change?

I wish I could offer some advice but I am perplexed as well. Hanging at the top generally means there is ammonia and the fish are starved for oxygen.

Fish gasp for breath at the surface.
Purple or red gills.
Fish is lethargic.
Loss of appetite.
Fish lay on the bottom of the tank.
Red streaking on the fins.

It's possible that they never had that disease they had (can't remember the name now) at all but are having the same reoccuring symptoms as they had before? Test your water right from the tap for ammonia, as well.

It REALLY sounds like ammonia poisoning to me.

Hi Hobbs,
I have tested the water several times and also the tap water. I let the vial sit.
Everything is perfect.
I haven't lost a fish since May and I am really upset..
I think I am going to do a major water change and leave out salts and buffers. Something is poisoning them