PDA

View Full Version : Final Fish Suggestion

labnjab
02-02-2009, 01:10 AM
We have 2 o-clowns and a Falco Hawkfish in our 29 gallon and we can't decide on the final fish. Were looking for something in the 2-3 inch range that won't eat snails or other inverts and is colorful and semi-agressive so it can hold its own against the clowns and hawkfish. We were thinking either some sort of blenny (maybe a bi-color) or a 6 line wrasse, but were kind skeptical of the wrasse because we read they will eat inverts and I wouldn't want it to take out of cuc. Thank you for the suggestions.

unleashed
02-02-2009, 02:37 AM
Sixlines are 95% of the time ok with inverts and CUC. However, you do get the odd one which like to eat shrimp legs. They usually don't kill the shrimp though.

However, wrasses are very active fish and I would hesitate putting one in a take less than 40g long regardless of the species.

I would try a species of goby or blenny. How about a firefish?

labnjab
02-02-2009, 02:46 AM
A firefish would be nice, and they regularly stock them around here. I'd have to make my lid a little tighter, but other then that it should do well. If not a firefish, what kind of blenny

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Bi-colors Blennies are nice. I like the Firefish as well. You could get a purple one, those are really nice.

labnjab
02-02-2009, 01:46 PM
I was thinking of the purple firefish, my better half's favorite color is purple, lol. She wants me to get one, either that or a bi-color blenny because those can be purple too. I am going to have to redo my eggcrate top. Its got a few big holes in it and I want to make it tighter. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know what we get.

rageybug
02-05-2009, 03:56 PM
How about a basic blue damsel. They stay small, semi-aggresive and look awsome. They are super cheap to but too.

coachfraley
02-05-2009, 05:52 PM
I have been very happy with my royal gramma. If the light is on, he is out and swimming around.

My clown pair pushed him around a little the first couple of days, but they are cool now.

http://www.cshm.org/images/fraley/gramma.jpg

Another option would be one of the smaller fairy wrasses. They stay small and they are very pretty.

Rue
02-05-2009, 06:07 PM
I have 2 PJ cardinal fish. I've been in love with them from the first time I saw them.

The banggai would be good too...

labnjab
02-24-2009, 05:35 AM
We went looking for pj cardinals tonight, but came home with a firefish.
We acclimated and added to the tank, and our clowns and hawkfish immediately began to attack it. They chased it around the tank for 5-10 min, and it hid. Then we thought they settled down. Next thing we see the hawkfish clamping down on its tail, so we caught the goby and it now resides in our refugium. I pretty sure its ok, just shaken up and his tail is slightly torn. Were currently looking for someone locally to take it.

So now we know a firefish is out, and anything firefish size including pj's. If we add something else (don't know if we can or should) it has to be as big if not bigger then our hawkfish (he's roughly 2.5-3 inches) and just as agressive as it. Does anyone have any other suggestions, or has our clowns and hawkfish just become to territorial to accept anyone else?

I was leaning towards a lawnmower blenny and supliment it with nori once the hair algae is gone, but other then that we haven't got a clue, and I think the lawnmower may be too agressive, but I'm not sure. We haven't seen this type of agression in any of our tanks, so its new to us, lol

coachfraley
02-24-2009, 06:37 AM
It would probably have to be something tough enough to defend itself, like a psuedochromis. I think grammas are pretty tough too...but I know that a purple psuedochromis will stand up to anything!

Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.

Good luck!

labnjab
02-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, the firefish didn't make it through the night. We've decided to wait until we get a bigger tank before adding any more fish. The clowns and hawkfish have just become to territorial and I don't want to spend another $20 on a fish thats gonna get killed