PDA

View Full Version : Water Color Questions (not the paint kind) :)

mle
02-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Consider this my first tank. Its a 29g FW with an AquaClear 30 filter and no heater (for the time being). I measured the H20 params for the first time on the 13th of January (at least a week after I had set it up). At that time they were as follows:
*using API liquid FW*
pH ~ 7.9
Nitrite ~ .5
Nitrate ~ 40
Ammonia ~ 2
The tank has had an Anubias, Wendtti, and miscellaneous mystery grass plants, (and the population of snails that came with) in it since it was set up and has been following what I think is a fairly normal cycle, the last test on the params (1-28) reading:
pH ~ 7.6
Nitrite ~ 5
Nitrate ~ > 30ish
Ammonia ~ 0 thumbs2: right?
Around 10 days or so ago I experienced what I think was a bacterial bloom (lots of white stuff in the water), but that has cleared up, leaving me with yellow-brown water. Here's my thoughts on what may be the cause: (keep in mind I have done no water changes yet)
-I have a 1" layer of Peat beneath my substrate
-Some of the plants have been experiencing 'melting leaves', most of which I have removed from the tank.
-The tank has no background and is exposed to a good deal of natural light, though not direct. Seems to look better at night too.

Thoughts on how I can clear the water up before I add my fishies? I have been hesitant to do any water changes as I don't want to disrupt my cycle. Would it be OK to do so now? Sorry for the long post (blush)

aquakid
02-02-2009, 02:06 AM
if you have recently put driftwood in that might be the cause, orange/brown water is created from lots of peat or driftwood, it is called blackwater and is harmless, it is also the wate tetras thrive in, I have had whitish fungi grow from driftwood, not affecting fish either. they are both fine.

Northernguy
02-02-2009, 03:41 AM
What are using to cycle your tank?

mle
02-02-2009, 04:04 AM
What are using to cycle your tank?
I have been adding flakes/blood worms as though the tank was stocked (maybe not fully stocked thogh).

mle
02-02-2009, 07:39 PM
I have been adding flakes/blood worms as though the tank was stocked (maybe not fully stocked thogh).
Oh...I added Cycle at the very biginning too.

Northernguy
02-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Your tank is going to take forever to cycle like that!
You have no fish correct?
To cycle fishless you need ammonia!
There are other better bacteria boosters.Seachem Stability or Tetra Safe Start are very good!

Cameron
02-03-2009, 12:12 AM
if you have recently put driftwood in that might be the cause, orange/brown water is created from lots of peat or driftwood, it is called blackwater and is harmless, it is also the wate tetras thrive in, I have had whitish fungi grow from driftwood, not affecting fish either. they are both fine.

i agree about the driftwood, i've also had that fungus i thought it was dangerous, and it camr back a few times, good to know its not though.

mle
02-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Your tank is going to take forever to cycle like that!
You have no fish correct?
To cycle fishless you need ammonia!
There are other better bacteria boosters.Seachem Stability or Tetra Safe Start are very good!
Nope. No fishies till the water is all good. I don't really care how long the cycle takes, just didn't want to buy something else to keep in a cupboard if I could avoid it and this method was recomended by the LFS and a few others I asked for alternative methods. I'm really trying to keep crap to a minimum and $ at a max.thumbs2: 'Specialy with this economic 'crisis' I keep hearing so much about. Also, we must keep in mind when I say LFS I do not mean Local Fish Store, but Laughable Fish Store:hmm3grin2orange: as I live in a VERY small town.

schoolbus
02-03-2009, 01:10 AM

That white fungi will disappear in time. But it may turn brown before it disappears. My Cory grazed on it.
The Brown tint to Your water is most likely the peat. As stated Tetras like it. I filter through peat in both my Tetra tanks.
Don