PDA

View Full Version : More downtime (scheduled this time)

William
02-01-2009, 10:07 PM
There will be some more downtime. Likely between 3-5 this morning east coast time. The downage should not be long. 15-30 min.

This is due to the fact that I am upgrading (doubling) the RAM of the server to avoid problems like the ones today. (even if I seem to be to only one who noticed). This should make the server faster and even more reliable.

Sorry
William

cocoa_pleco
02-01-2009, 10:09 PM
1-3am for me, i wont be up. lol

William
02-01-2009, 10:12 PM
That is the time with the least members active hence the scheduling?

fins_n_fur
02-01-2009, 10:15 PM
I'll just take a coffee break or try to clean the main tank of all its algae.

William
02-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Sounds like a plan.

William
02-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Just bumping this to make sure people know why if they can't access the site.

William
02-02-2009, 01:45 PM
There were a scheduling missunderstand. the update (and downtime) will take place tonight instead.

Deleted User
02-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up William. :ssmile:

korith
02-02-2009, 02:09 PM
There will be some more downtime. Likely between 3-5 this morning east coast time. The downage should not be long. 15-30 min.

This is due to the fact that I am upgrading (doubling) the RAM of the server to avoid problems like the ones today. (even if I seem to be to only one who noticed). This should make the server faster and even more reliable.

Sorry
William

Are you running the server locally where you live? Never really noticed any slowness with the site or any problems.

William
02-02-2009, 02:18 PM
No it is not run locally. It is a server center in the FL and managed by those who keep the server center.

The site usually runs very well and 99.9 % of the time I don't notice any real slowness either but the site has been growing and the ram has been turning into a bottle neck that risk causing problems in he future (and did so for a little while yesterday allthoughmost of you didn't seem to notice) I rather upgrade in advance than have problems and downages later.

korith
02-02-2009, 02:26 PM
No it is not run locally. It is a server center in the FL and managed by those who keep the server center.

The site usually runs very well and 99.9 % of the time I don't notice any real slowness either but the site has been growing and the ram has been turning into a bottle neck that risk causing problems in he future (and did so for a little while yesterday allthoughmost of you didn't seem to notice) I rather upgrade in advance than have problems and downages later.

Ahh I see, when you said you were upgrading the ram, I mistook that for meaning you were physically going to upgrade it yourself. You sure it was a memory issue?, something server farms do is run more sites than they should on a single machine, that can lead to slowness.

Anyhow never any issues with this site.

William
02-02-2009, 02:35 PM
A sorry, I only meant that I was ordering the ram upgrade, hence I was upgrading the server but not doing the actual work.

I am sure it is the ram. the server firm I use is very good and trustworthy. They even adviced me against a larger update due to the ram being the trouble.