PDA

View Full Version : Cycle update

190MPH
02-01-2009, 07:46 PM
OK, well after wondering about my interpretation of the results of my FL cycle water tests(API), I took a sample to the LFS where I will be buying my stock to get an experienced opinion. It is a well established store that I have visited a few times and they seem very knowledgable. I did notice last time that they also use the API tests. The one thing I wasn't sure about was the nitrite level. When he put the drops in, he said without hesitation that they were off the chart. The drops turned purple in the bottom of the tube instantly. I now have peace of mind to know that my cycle is not complete, which also explains the low nitrate levels. More to come.

Lady Hobbs
02-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Nitrites are toxic to fish, too, but my memory has left me. Are you cycling with fish or without? If you have fish in the tank, you need to do a water change to lower those levels.

If going fishless, leave it alone.
This is a very good sign. It's means all the ammonia is converting for you into nitrites so you are probably very near finished. They will start dropping now that you have your spike.

190MPH
02-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Yes LH, it is fishless. So hopefully not too much longer. I'm glad I got the 2nd opinion though. Of course while I was there, I changed my mind on stocking again:18: !