PDA

View Full Version : future bully

barbnubee
02-06-2007, 02:12 PM
I am planning on adding three female bettas to my ten gallon. One whom i've named Gabrielle always comes up to me when i'm near her bowl and just swims around so I thought she was just so sweet. That is until I placed her bowl next to Angie's bowl and she flared at her. Now i'm a little worried. Is this a sign that Gabrielle will bully my other female bettas when I put them in the 10 gallon?

jeffs99dime
02-06-2007, 02:21 PM
there's always that chance with bettas. i would keep a very close eye on them if you put them in the tank together

Abbeys_Mom
02-06-2007, 02:24 PM
10g may not be enough room for the betta's to get away from each other. Make sure you have plenty of hiding spots. IF after 3-5 days, they are still fighting, separate them.

minabird
02-06-2007, 03:03 PM
I tried keeping 3 females in a 10 gal heavily planted tank with 2 pieces of bogwood. 1st couple of days was alot of gill flaring, circling and posturing. The 1st day, the largest red female (typically reds are more dominant) was the dominant but kept getting tag-teamed by my other 2 pink females and ended up at the bottom of the totem pole by day 3. Around day 4, the 2 pink females got into the nasty fighting with lots of fin nipping and fin spitting whenever one got a mouthful of the other's fin. Ended separating all three after 5 days to prevent any lasting damage or deaths. I moved the 2 pinks into another 10 gal, my hospital tank, separated by a divider. They still try to go after each other even from between the divider, running into it every now and then. My red I left in the original 10 gal, but she later died from dropsy or bloat. I agree with Jeff and AM, keep a close eye on them and separate them when the fighting gets severe. My bad fights didn't happen until day 3 or 4.